OperationsFull TimeToronto, ON
At Xanadu, we are learners, innovators, researchers, collaborators, and problem solvers. We are creating something that has never been built before. What we are doing is extremely hard, the classic moon shot. Few people in their life will be able to be a part of something like this, where if we are successful, the technologies we develop will solve some of the world’s most challenging problems, and literally change the world. That is something to be excited about!
Your Role and Responsibilities
In this role, you will be responsible for helping to translate and communicate the science and technology of our company into clear, compelling and successful patent applications.
At Xanadu the generation and management of our patents and other intellectual property assets is a core activity. Our company has a team of more than 50 Ph.D.-level scientists and engineers who are working hard to design and build the future of quantum computing and communications technologies. Capturing and protecting their work in a robust patent portfolio is crucial to the long term success of the company.
Generating high quality patents requires a very rare combination of a deep technical understanding of quantum physics and thorough knowledge of patent systems and law.
This role provides a rare opportunity for an individual with a very strong background in quantum science (ideally Ph.D. level) who has decided to move into a career in intellectual property, and is committed to learning the patent system on the job.
The successful candidate will support the Xanadu Intellectual Property team in the following areas:
- Work directly with members throughout the technical teams (hardware, software and architecture) to properly document new inventions and draft patent applications in collaboration with your manager and outside counsel.
- Prepare clear, high quality technical drawings to accompany patent descriptions.
- Meticulously complete and file all required paperwork, and track and follow inventions through the entire patent process.
- Potentially supervise interns or students to assist with data management.
- Regularly monitor, read and review scientific literature relevant to Xanadu.
- Regularly monitor, read and review patent literature relevant to Xanadu.
- Prepare progress reports, dashboards and executive summaries of our patent and portfolio status.
- Prepare draft responses to office actions.
- Ensure or verify the accurate docketing of all due dates and payments.
Qualifications & Experience:
● Strong experience in scientific research related to quantum physics, quantum information or quantum computing. Ideally completed a Ph.D. and published peer-reviewed papers.
● Strong desire to move away from directly carrying out research, and dive into the world of intellectual property, patents and law.
● Prior experience with drafting or prosecuting patents is a definite plus, although internal and external education and training will be available to support a strong candidate without formal IP experience.
● Demonstrated ability to write clearly and precisely about in-depth scientific concepts and projects through journals, conferences, teaching, proposals, etc.
● Able to work comfortably with many simultaneous projects of competing priorities and communicate their status on a timely basis to internal and external stakeholders.
● Strong ability to read and write highly technical documents in English, and clearly summarize scientific details for a less technical audience.
● Scientific fluency in a second language may be a plus.
● Driven by “getting things done”, and a desire for excellence in your work.
● Attention to detail, organization, and thoroughness are essential.
To build quantum computers that are useful and available to people everywhere. Learn more about our mission here.
Our values are everything. They are fundamental and lay the foundation for culture at Xanadu. Learn more about our values here.
At Xanadu, we are committed to building an inclusive, safe, and equitable culture and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. We are committed to meeting the needs of all individuals and support a barrier-free workplace. Should you require accommodations at any point during the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.