Senior Electrical Engineer
HardwareFull TimeToronto, ON
Xanadu’s mission is to build quantum computers that are useful and available to people everywhere.
At Xanadu, we are learners, innovators, researchers, collaborators and problem solvers. We are creating something that has never been built before. Few people in their life will be able to be a part of something like this, where if we are successful, the technologies we develop will solve some of the world’s most challenging problems, and literally change the world. And that is something to be excited about!
Your role and responsibilities:
As part of the Hardware Team, you will work with our established team of physicists and engineers to develop high-performance custom electronics for photonic quantum computers. In the role of senior electrical engineer, you will contribute your experience spanning precision analog measurement and digital control. You will join a growing team dedicated to architecting the analog and digital electronics that control and acquire data from quantum photonic devices. Working hands-on in the lab, you will develop, optimize, refine, and debug electronic modules that interface with complex and noise-sensitive optoelectronic instruments. With your strong background in designing, testing, and implementing low-noise analog and mixed-signal circuits you will drive the development of the electronic control architecture for the world’s first photonic quantum computers.
Required qualifications and experience:
- BSc or higher in electrical engineering, physics, or relevant related discipline.
- 5+ years industry or academic experience in a relevant discipline.
- Self-motivated, comfortable working both independently and collaboratively on complex projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Preferred qualifications and experience -- candidates should have at least 4 of the following:
- MSc or PhD in electrical engineering, physics, or relevant related discipline.
- 8+ years combined academic + industry experience, including 3+ years in an industry role.
- Strong expertise in low-noise ADC/DAC data acquisition and analog control systems.
- Experience with RF analog testing equipment (VNAs, ESAs, AWGs, etc).
- Experience designing circuits for digitally controlling and acquiring data from sensitive low-noise analog devices.
- Strong understanding of both acoustic-band and RF electrical noise sources (ground loops, EMI from ambient radio and nearby electrical equipment, etc) and mitigation strategies (shielding, noise cancellation, etc).
- Experience designing analog interfaces between custom instruments and FPGA-based digital control systems.
- Familiarity with DSP techniques.
- Knowledge of common communication protocols (Ethernet, USB, I2C, SPI, etc).
- Experience with popular logic families (CMOS, TTL) and differential signalling.
- Experience with Altium, OrCAD, Eagle, KiCad, or similar design environments.
- Familiarity with principles of optics/photonics and common relevant components (photodiodes, modulators, lasers, fiber components).
Our values are important. They are fundamental and lay the foundation for culture at Xanadu. Learn more about our values here.
At Xanadu, we are committed to building an inclusive, safe, and equitable culture and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. We are committed to meeting the needs of all individuals and support a barrier-free workplace. Should you require accommodations at any point during the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.