Senior Photonics Design Engineer
HardwareFull TimeToronto, ON
At Xanadu, we are learners, innovators, researchers, collaborators, and problem solvers. We are creating something that has never been built before. What we are doing is extremely hard, the classic moon shot. Few people in their life will be able to be a part of something like this, where if we are successful, the technologies we develop will solve some of the world’s most challenging problems, and literally change the world. That is something to be excited about!
Xanadu is seeking an integrated photonics designer to develop photonic circuits for fault tolerant quantum computers. This role involves systems-level design, simulation, layout, and processing of wafer-scale measurement data of photonic components. The successful candidate will work within the Integration team, which supports the Xanadu Hardware team, to help develop and optimize various PIC devices used within our hardware. This will include interfacing with external fabrication partners and internal stakeholders to understand the critical requirements throughout the system.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- MSc or PhD in Engineering, Science, or related relevant field
- 5+ years experience (including post graduate) working in relevant technical area (2+ years experience in industrial setting preferred)
- Expert-level knowledge and experience designing passive integrated optical components including the incorporation of wafer variation
- Detailed understanding of sources of loss in photonic devices and their relation to fabrication processes
- Understanding of the tradeoff between different simulation approaches including sources of error and computational resource use
- Experience with scripted photonic mask design and performing mask assembly for full reticle submissions
- Experience working in a collaborative team-based development environment, preferably using version control systems such as git
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple competing priorities
Preferred Knowledge and Experience
- Experience designing active photonic components, such as modulators and photodiodes
- Experience developing components in an industrial environment such as part of a PDK used within a photonic foundry
- Understanding of the concepts of “Design of Experiments” and “Design Centering” applied to wafer level photonic components
- Experience developing automated optimization approaches, such as particle swarm, bayesian and adjoint method
- Incorporation of fabrication processes effects such as lithographic rounding, OPC/bias correction and material non uniformity into component optimization
To build quantum computers that are useful and available to people everywhere.
Our values are important. They are fundamental and lay the foundation for culture at Xanadu. Learn more about our values here.
At Xanadu, we are committed to building an inclusive, safe, and equitable culture and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. We are committed to meeting the needs of all individuals and support a barrier-free workplace. Should you require accommodations at any point during the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.