Researcher - Quantum Machine Learning
Software & AlgorithmsFull TimeToronto, ON
Xanadu is a Canadian quantum technology company with the mission to build quantum computers that are useful and available to people everywhere. Founded in 2016, Xanadu has become one of the world's leading quantum hardware and software companies and is developing the world’s first photonic quantum cloud computing platform. The company also leads the development of PennyLane, an open-source software library for quantum machine learning and application development.
You will join Xanadu’s Software & Algorithms team, working with a world-class team of researchers to build the theoretical and practical foundations of quantum machine learning, variational quantum algorithms, and quantum differentiable programming. You will conceive, undertake, and supervise projects which have an outsized impact, helping to establish the fundamentals of an emerging new field. Your ideas will have lasting influence and be used by thousands of researchers, developers, and enthusiasts worldwide.
Skills and Experience:
- To succeed in this role, you should have the following:
- Expertise in the theory and practice of variational quantum algorithms and related fields like quantum chemistry, quantum optimization, etc.
- Familiarity with recent developments and ideas in both quantum computing and in machine learning
- Ability to make connections between different scientific fields, and successfully port ideas from one field to another
- Skilled at using scientific software tools (e.g., Python) and quantum computing hardware to explore ideas and implement algorithms
- Familiarity with limitations, restrictions, and imperfections in current quantum hardware devices and knowledgeable of mitigation practices
- Experience supervising, mentoring, and collaborating with others on successful research projects
- Proven ability to drive research projects from idea to execution
- Comfort working in a fast-paced tech-focused work environment
- High standards for scientific writing, both at a technical and a popular level
- Strong team player
- 5+ years of experience working as a researcher in quantum computing or machine learning
- PhD in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, or Machine Learning with relevant postdoctoral experience preferred
- Scientific track record in the topic area of quantum machine learning, as evidenced by recent publications
This posting will close on September 11 at 4:00pm EST.
At Xanadu, we are committed to building an inclusive, safe, and equitable culture and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. We are committed to meeting the needs of all individuals and support a barrier-free workplace. Should you require accommodations at any point during the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.