Experimental Physicist (Quantum Optics)
HardwareFull TimeToronto, ON
Are you looking for an opportunity to contribute to the next revolution in computing technology? Do you want to take part in an exciting and rapidly growing new industry? Do you want to put your skills to use at the forefront of a cutting-edge field? Our Hardware team is looking for someone like you!
Summary of Position and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will work with our established team of physicists and engineers to help build our photonic quantum computation platform based on the continuous variable (CV) approach. They will be involved in all aspects of the quantum hardware system at Xanadu’s lab: design of optical components and architectures, construction of apparatus, and carrying out key experiments. They will also be responsible for writing patents and peer-reviewed publications describing these devices and experiments. Successful applicants will have a proven track record of accomplishments and creativity in experimental quantum optics, having developed during their research careers cutting-edge techniques for the generation, control, and detection of non-classical light. To succeed in this role, you should have the following:
Basic Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD in experimental physics, or related relevant discipline, with a specialization in quantum optics
- 1+ years post-doctoral research experience (exceptional applicants without post-doctoral experience will be considered)
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- 3+ years post-doctoral research experience
- Experience with squeezed light generation and characterization
- Experience with time-domain and/or frequency-domain optical control techniques
- Experience with single photon detection and homodyne detection
- Knowledge of CV quantum information protocols
- Strong record of independently led projects
- Experience with nonlinear optics
- Experience with optical cavities
- Experience automating and developing control systems for complex optical experiments using Python
- Experience with electrical and mechanical CAD design
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong theoretical understanding of quantum optics
- Self-motivated and comfortable working in a fast-paced team environment
Our team is located in Toronto, Canada. We have a great team that tailors individual relocation and immigration packages to best support your move. Please submit a copy of your CV and any additional information outlining why you think this is the right role for you! We’re looking forward to reading your application.
At Xanadu, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, safe, and equitable culture that meets the needs of all individuals. We actively support a barrier-free workplace and ensure team members feel included, valued, and heard. We are dedicated to being a fair and equitable employer, and that includes the representation of women in STEM. Should you require accommodations at any point during the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.