Urban Planner - Toronto Office
PlanningFull TimeToronto, ON
Position Title: Urban Planner
Urban Strategies® is an urban design, planning and engagement consultancy with studios in Toronto, Ontario, Hamilton, Ontario, and Vancouver, BC. We lead complex projects in cities all over the world and have an active practice across Canada and in the US, the Caribbean, Europe, and Asia. We are problem solvers who can help achieve successful outcomes for the full range of urban opportunities. Urban Strategies is a group of 80+ Planners, Urban Designers and specialized staff. The firm is led by our 14 Partners and 4 Principals and supported by a complement of skilled professionals. We have diverse backgrounds, including architecture, landscape architecture, planning, public administration, engagement, geospatial analysis, graphic design and the visual arts. We combine our diverse perspectives to plan and design welcoming, thriving places – and have fun in the process.
As an Urban Planner, you will be responsible for working with Urban Strategies’ team of Planners, Urban Designers, Graphic Designers, Associates, Principals and Partners to undertake a wide range of assignments on projects both large and small, in a variety of settings.
· Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, work with multidisciplinary teams to advance complex projects;
· Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the analysis and summarization of policy documents, zoning-by-laws and background studies;
· Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, develop innovative policies, practices and outcomes;
· Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the preparation of reports, presentations, panels and other materials for communication with clients and project stakeholders;
· Work independently and exercise judgement on specific tasks to support the overall project team;
· Communicate clearly, professionally, and persuasively, both orally and in writing;
· Adapt and respond to a dynamic and fast-paced work environment;
· Quality control and troubleshooting of project work.
· Under the guidance of Project Leadership advance small projects; support the advancement of complex projects as part of a multidisciplinary team;
· Support and, where required, lead meeting facilitation with clients and at community consultation events in conjunction with Project Leads. Oversee and support the presentation of concepts at client and public meetings;
· Contribute to the preparation and management of client contracts and budgets; oversight of budget utilization and project risk management. Follow up with clients as requested with regards to invoicing and collections, highlighting with Project Leadership when there are concerns.
· Manage the scheduling and logistics for meetings and consultation events;
· Conduct the scheduling and logistics for meetings and consultation events;
· Support optimal resource allocation and utilization for project teams;
· Report back to Project Leadership any key issues or concerns regarding project processes, budgets and client or subconsultant relations;
· Ensure that business development is updated as to the project status and that project marketing materials are up to date.
Leadership & Mentoring
· Support the onboarding of (buddy with) new Planners in collaboration with Project Team
Marketing and Business Development
· Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, participate in and support marketing and business development discussions and initiatives working closely with the Business Development team;
· Support the preparation of responses to RFP's; strongly consider how to structure the components of an RFP and team members.
Skills & Qualifications:
· 2-5 years of experience.
· Bachelor’s Degree in planning or a related field.
· Demonstrated strong knowledge of and experience in applying planning policy and regulations in Ontario, including the Provincial Policy Statement, the Growth Plan,
· official plans and zoning by-laws.
· Able to connect, engage and influence
· Organized and detail oriented
· All Urban Strategies employees may be required to work in our office and will be subject to current health screening policies, including providing valid proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
· Travel may be required for this position. Employees must be eligible to travel according to current government regulations, including health screening and providing valid proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
· Master’s Degree in planning or a related field.
· Membership in OPPI and CIP
· Proven knowledge and/or experience working with GIS
· Basic skills in Adobe InDesign
· Skills in other Adobe Creative Suite software (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator)
· Strong PowerPoint skills; a solid understanding of MS Office suite.
· Skills and experience in advances data mapping, management and analysis.
· Fluency in French or Mandarin is considered an asset, but not essential.
Within your attached cover letter, please include why are you interested in working for Urban Strategies. Tell us about the path you have taken in becoming and growing as an Urban Planner.
Please also attach a separate writing sample for which you are the sole author of.
Urban Strategies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that values diversity, a place where people from various backgrounds and experiences can work productively together. Our studios are designed for maximum interaction, across all disciplines and levels of seniority. We cultivate an integrated, collegial workplace both in person and working remotely, with numerous staff committees, social events, and professional development programs. These opportunities to celebrate, learn and have fun together are essential to our philosophy as an organization. We strive to build up each other and the profession. We make space for everyone at the firm to grow, lead, teach and have an impact. We share what we learn and expand opportunities for people to participate in planning and design.
Please visit our website to learn more about our firm.
Note: This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required, and the employee may be required to perform other duties (that they are skilled to perform) as requested.