DesignFull TimeToronto, ON
Position Title: Urban Designer
Toronto or Vancouver Office
Urban Strategies® is an urban design, planning and engagement consultancy with studios in Toronto, Hamilton, and Vancouver. We lead complex projects in cities all over the world and have an active practice across Canada and in the US, the Caribbean, Europe, and Asia. We are problem solvers who can help achieve successful outcomes for the full range of urban opportunities. Urban Strategies is a group of 80+ Planners, Urban Designers and specialized staff. The firm is led by our 14 Partners and 4 Principals and supported by a complement of skilled professionals. We have diverse backgrounds, including architecture, landscape architecture, planning, public administration, engagement, geospatial analysis, graphic design and the visual arts. We combine our diverse perspectives to plan and design welcoming, thriving places – and have fun in the process
Urban Designers are responsible for the design and problem solving associated with urban design projects and studies at a variety of scales in urban and rural environments. Urban Designers at Urban Strategies’ will work directly with other Urban Designers, Planners, Graphic Designers, Associates, Principals and Partners.
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, work with multidisciplinary teams to advance complex projects;
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the urban design analysis and summarization of policy documents, zoning-by-laws and background studies;
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, develop the conceptual and detailed urban design; lead the creation of diagrams or graphics conveying key themes and concepts; physical analysis conveying specific opportunities and constraints of a project;
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the production of hand and computer-generated presentation drawings or computer models; layout, drafting, graphic and technical refinement of plans and concepts at a variety of scales;
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the preparation of reports, presentations, panels and other materials for communication with clients and project stakeholders;
- Work independently and exercise judgement on specific tasks to support the overall project team;
- Communicate clearly, professionally, and persuasively, both orally and in writing;
- Adapt and respond to a dynamic and fast-paced work environment;
- Quality control and troubleshooting of project work.
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership advance small projects; support the advancement of complex projects as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- Support and, where required, lead meeting facilitation with clients and at community consultation events in conjunction with Project Leads. Oversee and support the presentation of concepts at client and public meetings;
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership contribute to the preparation and management of client contracts and budgets; oversight of budget utilization and project risk management. Support budget revisions, invoice management and finalization. Follow up with clients as requested with regards to invoicing and collections, highlighting with Project Leadership when there are concerns.
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership, conduct the scheduling and logistics for meetings and consultation events;
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership, support optimal resource allocation and utilization for project teams;
- Report back to Project Leadership any key issues or concerns regarding project processes, budgets and client or subconsultant relations;
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership ensure that business development is updated as to the project status and that project marketing materials are up to date.
Leadership & Mentoring
- Support the mentoring of Design Interns in collaboration with Associate Urban Designer(s).
Marketing and Business Development
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, participate in and support marketing and business development discussions and initiatives working closely with the Business Development team;
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the preparation of responses to RFP's; strongly consider how to structure the components of an RFP and team members.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A professional design degree.
- A solid knowledge of contemporary ArchiCAD and graphic software including Photoshop, InDesign, ArchiCAD or similar BIM software and other drafting, graphic design and layout software.
- Organizational and critical thinking skills to create materials for engaging and creative presentations through storytelling.
- A solid understanding of MS Office suite including Word, Excel & PowerPoint.
- Organized and detail orientated
- Possess good problem-solving skills, creativity and knowledge of information technologies.
- All Urban Strategies employees may be required to work in our office and will be subject to current health screening policies, including providing valid proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Travel may be required for this position. Employees must be eligible to travel according to current government regulations, including health screening and providing valid proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Masters degree in architecture, landscape architecture, and/or urban design is preferred.
- Professional qualifications with the OAA or OALA are not necessary but is encouraged.
- Fluency in either French or Mandarin would be an asset.
Please also include a portfolio within your application.
Urban Strategies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that values diversity, a place where people from various backgrounds and experiences can work productively together. Our studios are designed for maximum interaction, across all disciplines and levels of seniority. We cultivate an integrated, collegial workplace both in person and working remotely, with numerous staff committees, social events, and professional development programs. These opportunities to celebrate, learn and have fun together are essential to our philosophy as an organization. We strive to build up each other and the profession. We make space for everyone at the firm to grow, lead, teach and have an impact. We share what we learn and expand opportunities for people to participate in planning and design.
Please visit our website to learn more about our firm.
Note: This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required, and the employee may be required to perform other duties (that they are skilled to perform) as requested.