Associate, Urban Designer - Vancouver Office
DesignFull TimeVancouver, ON
About Urban Strategies:
Urban Strategies is a leading international planning and urban design firm, based in Toronto, Canada. We have over 80 permanent staff, from diverse professional backgrounds including architecture, economics, landscape architecture, planning, public administration and the visual arts. Our diversity allows us to meaningfully integrate planning and design to evolve and transform communities.
Associate, Urban Designers are responsible for the design and problem solving associated with urban design projects and studies at a variety of scales in urban and rural environments. Associate, Urban Designers at Urban Strategies’ will work directly with other Urban Designers, Planners, Graphic Designers, Principals and Partners.
- Layout, drafting and refinement of urban design plans and concepts at a variety of scales;
- Creation of hand and computer-generated presentation drawings or computer models;
- Collaborate on the preparation of conceptual and detailed urban design with a Partner or Principal and the production and/or creation of related diagrams or graphics conveying key themes and concepts;
- Physical analysis conveying specific opportunities and constraints of a project;
- Collaborate on proposal and report writing; including conceptual directions, design guidelines and other narratives describing the vision and intent of a project;
- Collaborate on meeting facilitation with clients and at community consultation events. Attend and present concepts as required at client and public meetings;
- Collaborate with Sr. Associates, Principals and Partners on the management of project budgets and timelines;
- Collaborate with Sr. Associates, Principals and Partners to coordinate multiple inputs and balance priorities in a dynamic environment with multiple assigned projects and tasks, and the effective management of project financials and scope;
- Liaise with suppliers, outsourced printing houses and other vendors as required;
- Use of project management tools and techniques to support the project team and overall project management;
- Competently present materials to team members and external clients.
- Contribute to Urban Strategies profile through active participation in professional associations as well as fostering client relationships as a trusted representative of the firm;
- Participate in proposal writing and other business development activities;
- Contribute to the preparation of responses to RFP’s and strongly consider how to structure the components of an RFP and team members;
- Attend and present at conferences as a representative of Urban Strategies Inc.;
- Support marketing and collaborate on business development discussions and initiatives working closely with Partners, the Principal Business Development and Communications and the Proposal Coordinator.
Leadership & Mentoring
- Support the onboarding and mentoring of Design Interns in collaboration with Project Leadership;
- Participate in the recruitment of Design Interns;
- Manage Design Intern time to meet deadlines and produce high-quality deliverables on multiple concurrent projects;
- Communicate clearly, professionally, and persuasively, both orally and in writing;
- Adapt and respond to a dynamic and fast-paced work environment;
Skills and Qualifications:
- A professional design degree.
- A solid knowledge of contemporary ArchiCAD and graphic software including Photoshop, InDesign, ArchiCAD or similar BIM software and other drafting, graphic design and layout software.
- Organizational and critical thinking skills to create materials for engaging and creative presentations through storytelling.
- A solid understanding of MS Office suite including Word, Excel & PowerPoint.
- Organized and detail orientated
- Possess good problem-solving skills, creativity and knowledge of information technologies.
- All Urban Strategies employees may be required to work in our office and will be subject to current health screening policies, including providing valid proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Travel may be required for this position. Candidate must be willing to travel to work assignments outside of Vancouver.
- Employees must also be eligible to travel according to current government regulations, including health screening and providing valid proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Master’s degree in architecture, landscape architecture, and/or urban design is preferred.
- Professional qualifications with the OAA or OALA are not necessary but is encouraged.
- Fluency in either French or Mandarin would be an asset.
Urban Strategies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish, and that an environment that celebrates diversity and inclusion accesses the full potential of our people and contributes to more equitable and innovative outcomes in our practice. Our goal is that our team represents the diversity of the communities in which we practice. Please visit our website to learn more about our firm.
Note: This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required, and the employee may be required to perform other duties (that they are skilled to perform) as requested.