DesignFull TimeToronto, ON
About Urban Strategies:
Urban Strategies is a leading international planning and urban design firm, based in Toronto, Canada. We have over 70 permanent staff, from diverse professional backgrounds including architecture, economics, landscape architecture, planning, public administration and the visual arts. Our diversity allows us to meaningfully integrate planning and design to evolve and transform communities.
Urban Designers are responsible for the design and problem solving associated with urban design projects and studies at a variety of scales in urban and rural environments. Urban Designers at Urban Strategies’ will work directly with other Urban Designers, Planners, Graphic Designers, Associates, Principals and Partners.
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, work with multidisciplinary teams to advance complex projects;
- Support the urban design analysis and summarization of policy documents, zoning-by-laws and background studies;
- Develop the conceptual and detailed urban design; lead the creation of diagrams or graphics conveying key themes and concepts; physical analysis conveying specific opportunities and constraints of a project;
- Support the production of hand and computer-generated presentation drawings or computer models; layout, drafting, graphic and technical refinement of plans and concepts at a variety of scales;
- Support the preparation of reports, presentations, panels and other materials for communication with clients and project stakeholders;
- Work independently and exercise judgement on specific tasks to support the overall project team;
- Communicate clearly, professionally, and persuasively, both orally and in writing;
- Adapt and respond to a dynamic and fast-paced work environment;
- Quality control and troubleshooting of project work.
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership advance small projects; support the advancement of complex projects as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- Support and, where required, lead meeting facilitation with clients and at community consultation events in conjunction with Project Leads. Oversee and support the presentation of concepts at client and public meetings;
- Contribute to the preparation and management of client contracts and budgets; oversight of budget utilization and project risk management. Support budget revisions, invoice management and finalization. Follow up with clients as requested with regards to invoicing and collections, highlighting with Project Leadership when there are concerns.
- Conduct the scheduling and logistics for meetings and consultation events;
- Support optimal resource allocation and utilization for project teams;
- Report back to Project Leadership any key issues or concerns regarding project processes, budgets and client or subconsultant relations;
- Ensure that business development is updated as to the project status and that project marketing materials are up to date.
Leadership & Mentoring
- Support the mentoring of Design Interns in collaboration with Associate Urban Designer(s).
Marketing and Business Development
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, participate in and support marketing and business development discussions and initiatives working closely with the Business Development team;
- Support the preparation of responses to RFP's; strongly consider how to structure the components of an RFP and team members.
- A professional design degree.
- A solid knowledge of contemporary ArchiCAD and graphic software including Photoshop, InDesign, ArchiCAD or similar BIM software and other drafting, graphic design and layout software.
- Organizational and critical thinking skills to create materials for engaging and creative presentations through storytelling.
- A solid understanding of MS Office suite including Word, Excel & PowerPoint.
- Organized and detail orientated
- Possess good problem-solving skills, creativity and knowledge of information technologies.
- Masters degree in architecture, landscape architecture, and/or urban design is preferred.
- Professional qualifications with the OAA or OALA are not necessary but is encouraged.
- Fluency in either French or Mandarin would be an asset.
Urban Strategies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish, and that an environment that celebrates diversity and inclusion accesses the full potential of our people and contributes to more equitable and innovative outcomes in our practice. Our goal is that our team represents the diversity of the communities in which we practice. Please visit our website to learn more about our firm.
Note: This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required, and the employee may be required to perform other duties (that they are skilled to perform) as requested.