Urban Planning Intern - Winter 2022
PlanningPart TimeToronto, ON
Urban Planning Intern
Urban Planning Interns are responsible for working with Urban Strategies’ team of Urban Designers and Urban Planners to undertake a wide range of assignments on projects large and small in a variety of settings.
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, work with multidisciplinary teams to advance projects;
- Availability for short-term allocation needs, with room to more consistently allocate time to ongoing projects;
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the preparation of reports, presentations, panels and other materials for communication with clients and project stakeholders;
- Contribute to technical components of planning reports including but not limited to site descriptions, proposal descriptions, community needs assessments;
- Work independently and collaboratively with project teams to exercise judgement on specific tasks to support the overall project team;
- Communicate clearly, professionally, and persuasively, both orally and in writing;
- Adapt and respond to a dynamic and fast-paced work environment;
- Quality control and troubleshooting of project work;
- Contribute to the proposal writing process;
- Assist with coordination of planning approvals including, creating response table of City comments, coordinate submission materials and ongoing monitoring.
- Analyze and support the summarization of policy documents, zoning by-laws and background studies;
- Research of surrounding applications for rationales and various planning reports;
- Research and analyze trends and best practices related to urban planning;
- Research for Practice Leads;
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership advance small projects; support the advancement of complex projects as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- Support meeting facilitation with clients and at community consultation events in conjunction with Project Leads;
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership contribute to the preparation and management of client contracts and budgets;
- Follow up with clients as requested with regards to invoicing and collections and manage the scheduling and logistics for meetings, highlighting with Project Leadership when there are concerns;
- Report back to Project Leadership any key issues or concerns regarding client or subconsultant relations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in planning or a related field.
- Strong PowerPoint skills; a solid understanding of MS Office suite.
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of and experience in applying planning policy and regulations in Ontario, including the Provincial Policy Statement, the Growth Plan, official plans and zoning by-laws.
- Able to connect, engage and influence
- Organized and detail orientated
- Proven knowledge and/or experience working with GIS
- Working towards a Master’s Degree in planning or a related field.
- Membership in OPPI and CIP
- Basic skills in Adobe InDesign
- Skills in other Adobe Creative Suite software (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Skills and experience in advances data mapping, management and analysis.
- Fluency in French or Mandarin.
- The ability and willingness to travel outside of Toronto
Please send your application, including a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a paid, part-time internship position
Note: This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required, and the employee may be required to perform other duties (that they are skilled to perform) as requested.