Urban Planner - Vancouver Office
PlanningFull TimeVancouver, ON
Position Title: Urban Planner
Urban Strategies is a leading international planning and urban design firm, based in Toronto, Canada. We have over 70 permanent staff, from diverse professional backgrounds including architecture, economics, landscape architecture, planning, public administration and the visual arts. Our diversity allows us to meaningfully integrate planning and design to evolve and transform communities.
As an Urban Planner, you will be responsible for working with Urban Strategies’ team of Planners, Urban Designers, Graphic Designers, Associates, Principals and Partners to undertake a wide range of assignments on projects both large and small, in a variety of settings.
· Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, work with multidisciplinary teams to advance complex projects;
· Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the analysis and summarization of policy documents, zoning-by-laws and background studies;
· Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, develop innovative policies, practices and outcomes;
· Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the preparation of reports, presentations, panels and other materials for communication with clients and project stakeholders;
· Work independently and exercise judgement on specific tasks to support the overall project team;
· Communicate clearly, professionally, and persuasively, both orally and in writing;
· Adapt and respond to a dynamic and fast-paced work environment;
· Quality control and troubleshooting of project work.
· Under the guidance of Project Leadership advance small projects; support the advancement of complex projects as part of a multidisciplinary team;
· Support and, where required, lead meeting facilitation with clients and at community consultation events in conjunction with Project Leads. Oversee and support the presentation of concepts at client and public meetings;
· Under the guidance of Project Leadership contribute to the preparation and management of client contracts and budgets; oversight of budget utilization and project risk management. Support budget revisions, invoice management and finalization. Follow up with clients as requested with regards to invoicing and collections, highlighting with Project Leadership when there are concerns. In collaboration with Project Leadership, manage the scheduling and logistics for meetings and consultation events;
· Under the guidance of Project Leadership, conduct the scheduling and logistics for meetings and consultation events;
· Under the guidance of Project Leadership, support optimal resource allocation and utilization for project teams;
· Report back to Project Leadership any key issues or concerns regarding project processes, budgets and client or subconsultant relations;
· the guidance of Project Leadership ensure that business development is updated as to the project status and that project marketing materials are up to date.
Leadership & Mentoring
· Support the onboarding of (buddy with) new Planners in collaboration with Project Team
Marketing and Business Development
· Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, participate in and support marketing and business development discussions and initiatives working closely with the Business Development team;
· Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the preparation of responses to RFP's; strongly consider how to structure the components of an RFP and team members.
· Bachelor’s Degree in planning or a related field.
· Demonstrated strong knowledge of and experience in applying planning policy and regulations in Ontario, including the Provincial Policy Statement, the Growth Plan,
· official plans and zoning by-laws.
· Able to connect, engage and influence
· Organized and detail orientated
· Master’s Degree in planning or a related field.
· Membership in OPPI and CIP
· Proven knowledge and/or experience working with GIS
· Basic skills in Adobe InDesign
· Skills in other Adobe Creative Suite software (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator)
· Strong PowerPoint skills; a solid understanding of MS Office suite.
· Skills and experience in advances data mapping, management and analysis.
· Fluency in French or Mandarin.
· The ability and willingness to travel outside of Toronto
Urban Strategies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish, and that an environment that celebrates diversity and inclusion accesses the full potential of our people and contributes to more equitable and innovative outcomes in our practice. Our goal is that our team represents the diversity of the communities in which we practice. Please visit our website to learn more about our firm.
To apply, please send your application, including a resume and cover letter to https://www.urbanstrategies.com/contact/
Note: This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required, and the employee may be required to perform other duties (that they are skilled to perform) as requested.