Senior Associate, Urban Planner
PlanningFull TimeToronto, ON
Position Title: Sr. Associate, Urban Planner
Sr. Associate, Urban Planners are responsible for managing a wide range of assignments on projects large and small in a variety of settings. Sr. Associate, Urban Planners take a leading role in the management of projects as well as the mentoring and training of employees.
- Lead and manage multidisciplinary teams to advance a complex project(s) with support from a Partner or Principal;
- Lead the analysis and summarization of policy documents, zoning-by-laws and background studies;
- Oversee proposal and report writing within area of expertise (Design, Planning or Hybrid focus), including conceptual design in collaboration with Partner or Principal;
- Serve as a primary client manager for selected clients and maintain senior client relationships with all clients within project scope;
- Lead the preparation of reports, presentations, panels and other materials for communication with clients and project stakeholders in collaboration with Partner or Principal;
- Lead the work of project team members and sub-consultants;
- Lead the development and administration of work plans, schedules and budgets to advance projects;
- Lead, mentor and oversee junior staff in the production of graphics, written reports, document layout and other materials.
- In collaboration with the Design Partner or Principal, lead the production of hand and computer-generated presentation drawings or computer models; layout, drafting, graphic and technical refinement of plans and concepts at a variety of scales;
- Communicate clearly, professionally, and persuasively, both orally and in writing;
- Adapt and respond to a dynamic and fast-paced work environment;
- Quality control and troubleshooting of project work.
- Lead and oversee meeting presentation and facilitation with clients and at consultation events in conjunction with Project Leads;
- Lead the presentation of concepts at client and public meetings;
- Lead the preparation and management of client contracts and budgets; oversight of budget utilization and project risk management;
- Lead WIP and write-off management, budget revisions, invoice management and finalization;
- Lead the scheduling and logistics for meetings and consultation events;
- Support optimal resource allocation and utilization for project teams;
- Communicate back to Partner and/or Principal any key issues or concerns regarding project processes, budgets and client or subconsultant relations;
- Ensure the full team, including business development, is updated as to the project status.
Leadership & Mentoring
- Mentor and lead other team members in the production of proposal and report writing, including conceptual directions, design guidelines and other narratives describing the vision and intent of a project. In collaboration with the Partner or Principal lead proposal, report and PowerPoint revisions and editing;
- Lead the direction, mentoring and management of multidisciplinary teams to advance a complex project(s) with support from a Partner or Principal;
- Facilitate internal training sessions (Academy Sessions) as required;
- Work independently and exercise judgement on specific tasks and work collaboratively within multidisciplinary teams to advance complex projects.
Marketing and Business Development
- Attend and present at conferences as a representative of Urban Strategies Inc.;
- Actively lead the preparation of responses to RFP’s and strongly consider how to structure the components of an RFP and the team members;
- Promote Urban Strategies through participation in industry media and events;
- Contribute to Urban Strategies profile through active participation in professional associations as well as fostering client relationship as a trusted representative of the firm.
- 8-10 years’ of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in planning or a related field.
- Experience in leading, mentoring and management of a team
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of and experience in applying planning policy and regulations in Ontario, including the Provincial Policy Statement, the Growth Plan, official plans and zoning by-laws.
- Able to connect, engage and influence
- Organized and detail orientated
- Master’s Degree in planning or a related field.
- Membership in OPPI and CIP
- Proven knowledge and/or experience working with GIS
- Strong PowerPoint skills; a solid understanding of MS Office suite.
- Basic skills in Adobe InDesign
- Skills in other Adobe Creative Suite software (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Skills and experience in advances data mapping, management and analysis.
- Fluency in French or Mandarin.
Urban Strategies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish, and that an environment that celebrates diversity and inclusion accesses the full potential of our people and contributes to more equitable and innovative outcomes in our practice. Our goal is that our team represents the diversity of the communities in which we practice. Please visit our website to learn more about our firm.
Note: This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required, and the employee may be required to perform other duties (that they are skilled to perform) as requested.