Business Development Team Lead
Sales & MarketingFull TimeToronto, ON
ThinkData Works Inc. is a Toronto-based technology startup whose data catalog is used by some of the foremost organizations in the world to process and refine data into usable products. We host one of the largest repositories of publicly available data - including the world’s largest repository of COVID-19 data - and enable our clients to discover, govern, and monetize that data that powers their business. We’ve raised more than $11 million in financing from world-class venture capital firms including First Ascent Ventures, Yaletown Partners, Extreme Venture Partners, and the BDC.
Our tech, our growth, and our team have been acknowledged for their excellence through various industry awards including being recognized as one of Canada's Top Growing Companies by the Globe and Mail, one of Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures by Waterstone Human Capital, and the Overall Data Science Solution of the Year by Data Breakthrough Awards.
About the role
We are looking for a full-time Business Development Team Lead to join our Sales & Marketing team. Our ideal candidate is someone who considers themselves a natural relationship builder, a great communicator, and a results-driven individual. This role will be accountable for managing a team of Business Development Representatives, as well as leading by example by assisting with generating new outbound leads and qualifying inbound leads by engaging through email, phone, and social channels. The Business Development Team Lead will have the opportunity to build, execute and evaluate the success of Sales & Marketing strategies.
As a Business Development Team Lead, you will have a direct impact on the Sales team’s success as you and your team qualify prospects into the sales pipeline. In addition you will be focused on growing the team through hiring and coaching. When prospecting, you will target senior decision makers at forward-thinking medium to large businesses to help them understand the value of our products and services, and the impact it could have in their organization.
This position will report to the VP of Marketing, and will work closely with other members of the Sales & Marketing team.
- Assist in leading training for Business Development Representatives (BDR)
- Conduct regular check-ins with BDRs to manage and strengthen team performance
- Recruit and grow the success of the Business Development team
- Qualifying warm leads and converting them to opportunities for Sales
- Building & managing processes for lead qualification and conversion
- Using Hubspot, Outreach.io, and LinkedIn Sales Navigator to manage leads, deals, reports
- Creating, managing and using communications templates
- Nurturing leads using Marketing content
- Acting as a trusted advisor and industry expert for leads and accounts
- Understanding ThinkData Works’ strategy and capabilities
- Some post-secondary or equivalent education in a related field and 2+ years of relevant business development experience
- Previous work experience at a startup, a small company, or in a fast-paced environment is an asset
- Experience coaching/managing BDRs
- A proven track record of meeting or exceeding sales or revenue targets.
- Passionate about sales and technology
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, autonomy, and problem solving skills
- Excellent relationship building skills and experience
- Legally eligible to work in Canada
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive compensation. You will earn a salary commensurate with your experience and will receive stock options to participate in the company’s growth and success.
- Career development. We believe in informal mentorship and formal training. You will work closely with our VP of Marketing and VP of Sales. In addition to lunch-and-learn workshops, you can take advantage of our annual Learning Allowance to pursue further knowledge in any relevant area of professional development.
- Great benefits. We have competitive extended health, mental health, dental and vision benefits for you and your family, as well as a parental leave top-up program.
- The opportunity to make a mark. We are growing. And with that growth comes the need for people with insights to help us scale. You will have the opportunity to apply your insights, try different methods and introduce best practices, building out a framework for our Sales & Marketing Team.
- An amazing team. Collaboration across teams is paramount to our success and our culture as we scale. At ThinkData Works, we prioritize mental and physical wellness. We believe in balance as we grow. We pursue activities ranging from rock climbing with colleagues to playing Smash Bros, pool, and board games. We know how to have fun and enjoy spending some extra time together.
Need more reasons to join?
We may be technologically driven, but like any good Canadian we know the best ideas are thought of up north in a cottage. Before (and hopefully after) COVID-19, we’ve taken annual 3-day retreats for mission setting, aligning with our goals, product management and team building.
We are managing our growth. We continue to promote and nurture the open, collaborative nature of who we are and how we work.
Some final notes before applying
ThinkData Works is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates with a disability taking part in all aspects of the application process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, or national or ethnic origin.
We know there may be gaps on your resume or ‘non-traditional employment’ however, we know life happens and invite you to apply
We are conducting all interviews remotely at this time, however, we have fully embraced hybrid working. For us, hybrid work means our employees have the choice with their managers and teams to decide where they work, whether that’s from home or from our office.