OperationsFull TimeToronto, ON
ThinkData Works Inc. is a Toronto-based technology startup whose data catalog is used by some of the foremost organizations in the world to process and refine data into usable products. We host one of the largest repositories of publicly available data - including the world’s largest repository of COVID-19 data - and enable our clients to discover, govern, and monetize that data that powers their business. We’ve raised more than $11 million in financing from world-class venture capital firms including First Ascent Ventures, Yaletown Partners, Extreme Venture Partners, and the BDC.
Our tech, our growth, and our team have been acknowledged for their excellence through various industry awards including being recognized as one of Canada's Top Growing Companies by the Globe and Mail, one of Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures by Waterstone Human Capital, and the Overall Data Science Solution of the Year by Data Breakthrough Awards.
About the role
We are looking for In-House Legal Counsel to join our Operations Team. We’d like someone experienced in commercial and corporate law to review contracts, participate in legal review calls with clients and partners, and provide expert advice. This position reports to the VP of Finance & Operations, and will work closely with our CEO and Sales team.
- Act as primary legal support to provide guidance on commercial and corporate matters for the company
- Draft, review, and negotiate a broad range of agreements (including MSAs, data licensing and data management services agreements, reseller agreements, confidentiality agreements, etc.)
- Engage in complex negotiations and help our Sales team close deals
- Appropriately prioritize with internal and external clients and deliver results efficiently
- Build and maintain positive relationships with leadership and other strategic partners
- Identify legal issues and advise on strategies and solutions to mitigate legal risk
- Work with the VP of Finance & Operations and outside counsel on other corporate considerations, such as governance, financing activities, assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities, and so on
- A J.D. or LLB, and current member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario (or other relevant jurisdiction)
- 3+ years of experience in commercial law (experience in corporate law is an asset) at a law firm or in-house
- Experience in the technology or data industries and matters relating to SaaS / software licensing
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal and communication (both oral and written) skills
- High level of integrity and commitment to ethical business practices
- Legally eligible to work in Canada
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive compensation. You will earn a salary commensurate with your experience.
- Career development. We believe in informal mentorship and formal training. You will work closely with our CEO, VP of Finance & Operations, and VP of Sales, and join our lunch-and-learn workshops.
- Great benefits. We have competitive extended health, mental health, dental and vision benefits for you and your family, as well as a parental leave top-up program for our full-time, permanent employees.
- The opportunity to make a mark. We are growing. And with that growth comes the need for people with insights to help us scale. You will have the opportunity to apply your insights, try different methods and introduce best practices, building out a framework for our Operations Team.
- An amazing team. Collaboration across teams is paramount to our success and our culture as we scale. At ThinkData Works, we prioritize mental and physical wellness. We believe in balance as we grow. We know how to have fun and enjoy spending some extra time together.
Need more reasons to join?
We may be technologically driven, but like any good Canadian we know the best ideas are thought of up north in a cottage. Before (and hopefully after) COVID-19, we’ve taken annual 3-day retreats for mission setting, aligning with our goals, product management and team building.
We are managing our growth. We continue to promote and nurture the open, collaborative nature of who we are and how we work.
Some final notes before applying
ThinkData Works is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates with a disability taking part in all aspects of the application process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, or national or ethnic origin.
We know there may be gaps on your resume or ‘non-traditional employment’ however, we know life happens and invite you to apply
We are conducting all interviews remotely at this time, however, we have fully embraced hybrid working. For us, hybrid work means our employees have the choice with their managers and teams to decide where they work, whether that’s from home or from our office.