DATA ANALYST @ THINKDATA WORKS, TORONTO
ThinkData Works, Inc. is a Toronto-based technology startup whose data management platform, Namara, is used by some of the foremost organizations in the world to process and refine data into usable products. We host one of the largest repositories of publicly available data and enable our clients to significantly increase the amount of information they use to fuel solutions.
At ThinkData, our mission is to build the easiest and most secure solution that enables our users to access, integrate, and collaborate on the data that powers their business. Some of the largest companies in the world, from tech to banking and beyond, use our platform.
We’re not a single-solution AI company or a consulting firm disguised as a startup. We’re interested in solving the fundamental problem of accessing and distributing data. Namara as a data management platform will propel the next wave of intelligent solutions.
We are looking for a full-time Data Analyst/QA to join ThinkData Works at our Toronto HQ, and to work as a key member of our Data Labs team. This role will involve hands-on data analytics as well as the development of scripts and tools. The incumbent must have 1-3 years of experience and wants to be part of a rapidly-scaling company that prioritizes accessing and distributing data, and enables clients to focus on working with their data rather than for it. Our ideal candidate wants to be part of a team that solves real-world problems and propels the next wave of data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.
What you’ll be doing
Reporting to the Head of Data Labs, the Data Analyst/QA plays a key role in the delivery of data products on the platform by:
- developing, delivering and maintaining scripts to acquire data from public sources as well as partner feeds;
- QA-ing and wrangling data to conform to ThinkData standards;
- collecting data and analyzing for trends, patterns, summaries, and meaning; and
- applying design thinking to develop components to add to our in-house development and analysis tool suite
What you’ll bring
- Design and build applications and scripts. You have a degree in Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Science, in addition to 1-3 years of experience in development, with knowledge and experience in Python. Knowledge of any additional programming languages is an asset.
- Wrangle data. You have had hands-on experience with data wrangling using scripts and a variety of tools, such as Pandas, OpenRefine or similar
- Go Beyond. You have strong analytical and research skills and enjoy exploring new internal and external sources of data to uncover new opportunities
- Innovate solutions to complex problems. You are tenacious and enjoy solving problems – be it development, data wrangling, or data analysis – and possess the ability to think outside the box to reach solutions.
- Collaborate. You can work as part of the team, work autonomously, and mentor colleagues
- Adaptable, flexible, and able to adjust to a dynamic startup environment. Previous experience working at a startup environment is an asset
- Evolve with us. The landscape is being built under our feet as we move forward, so we need people who can channel their passion, learn quickly, and navigate the unknown at top speed.
What’s in it for you?
- Knowledge. You will be given the tools and the support you need – from everyone on our Data, Engineering, and Leadership teams – to succeed in this role.
- The chance to make an impact. We want someone who is creative and motivated to build and maintain customized data solutions for our clients. You’ll be working on the front-lines of data, delivering solutions directly to our clients, with real ownership over your projects.
- Access to new tech. At ThinkData we don’t shy away from bleeding edge tech. We encourage you to experiment, test, and push the boundaries through research and development.
- Career growth. This role will change and evolve as we continue to grow. We want you to be able to carve out your own career path here.
Need more reasons to join?
We may be technologically driven, but like every Canadian, we know the best ideas are thought of up north in a cottage. During the summer, we take the whole team on a 3-day retreat for mission setting, aligning our goals, product management, and team building. This year we are at a Summer Camp! We’re not saying this involves a beer keg, guitars, and campfires. But we’re not saying it doesn’t.
We are managing our growth. We continue to promote and nurture the open, collaborative nature of who we are and how we work. And we don’t just support each other in the office. The number of musicians in-house is pretty overwhelming, from 90s cover bands to death metal. There’s always a co-worker with a gig coming up and we love to go out and cheer them on.
We work hard while still knowing how to have fun and being ourselves, hanging out together outside of work and enjoying delicious snacks at the office.
ThinkData Works welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.