Archives Digitization Intern (September 19 to December 16 2022)
CNE FoundationInternToronto, ON
This position is a part of the Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations Program. Candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements to be considered:
· Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
· Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refuge status in Canada.
· Be legally entitled to work in Canada.
· Meet the specific eligibility criteria of the program to which you apply
· Be registered in the Young Canada Works online candidate inventory
· Be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment; and
· Not have another full-time job during the YCW work assignment
Students must also:
· Have registered as a high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW work assignment; and
· Intend to return to studies during or after the YCW
Reporting to the Program Manager, Arts &Heritage/ CNE Archives, the Archives Digitization Intern will support the Foundation’s CNE Archives Project campaign aimed at preserving and protecting the CNE portion of the Alexandra Studio Fonds. A significant piece of Canadian history, this collection consists of 109,032 negatives that span content from 1947 to 1981. The Intern will support an effort to preserve and digitize the cellulose acetate negatives of this collection, which are suffering from Vinegar Syndrome, resulting in priceless images being lost. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Scan the negatives of the collection according to established procedures and archival standards.
• Create archival quality images and ensure quality control throughout the project.
• Upload images to the archival database with appropriate descriptors.
• Rehouse and package negatives for long-term cold storage.
• Ensure proper handling, retrieval and storage of negatives.
• Be proactive in identifying digital assets that could be utilized in marketing/messaging collateral and keep open lines of communication with various departments who may need access to these new assets.
• Assist with status updates and/or measuring the outcomes of the project, as needed.
• Assist with generating reports, presentations, etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
The CNEF is committed to providing safe working conditions and has implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our office space. We provide gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer to all employees who must report to work. In addition, we take great care to ensure frequently touched surfaces are sanitized throughout the day and that the office is cleaned on a regular basis.