Roving Social Media Reporter
Marketing & CommunicationsInternToronto, ON
Canadian National Exhibition Association - Toronto, Ontario
Contract Position: June – September 5, 2022
Looking for a paid summer internship that’s fun, by the waterfront and gets you access to one of Toronto’s most iconic events? Come join our team at the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE)!
The CNE, often affectionately referred to as The Ex, is one of the top ten agricultural fairs in North America. Learn what it takes to run Canada’s largest community event. Get hands on experience and a behind-the-scenes look at some of our event attractions and interactive entertainment experiences including: concerts, midway rides and games, shopping, exhibits, tech and gaming hubs, food and wacky treats!
The CNE fair is a cherished tradition, attracting approximately 1.5 million visitors annually over the course of its 18-day run. Be a part of this summer tradition and help us inspire Canadians and create memories.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Roving Social Media Reporter will be responsible for pre fair in-office assistance and photography and social media duties throughout the 18 day CNE. Other responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- In Office Administration for the Marketing & Communications Department
- Digital Support of the Social Media Channels
- Planning and scheduling all activities and events to be covered via Social Media
- Support during Media Day and Opening Ceremonies
- Create and draft all Social Media posts for approval
- Post and update the CNE’s social media feeds
- Interview and interact with the public and performers
- Promote sponsor activities on-site
- Promote shows and events
- Take videos and pictures around the grounds
- Stay up-to-date with social media feeds as they pertain to the CNE
- Provide ad hoc support in other areas as needed
- Must be comfortable working both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions
- Required to access all staffed areas of the CNE grounds
- Willingness to work in areas that may contain bright lights, loud noises and crowds of people
- Excellent communication skills (both oral & written)
- Excellent photography & photo editing skills
- Comfortable communicating with a variety of stakeholders including guests and CNE performers
- Organized and reliable
- Great interpersonal skills
- Energetic, confident, and professional
- Strong customer service background
- Ability to take initiative & innovate
Qualifications & Educational Requirements:
- Engaging personality, a sense of humour, and the ability to create intelligent/engaging content
- Able to appeal to various audiences, including teenagers and young adult
- Completion of or enrollment in a post-secondary program in an area related to Social Media or Journalism would be considered an asset
- Responsible enough to post appropriate content that may not be vetted by anyone else prior to posting and to execute assignments as promised
- Ability to capture the essence of the CNE in your coverage
- Familiarity with and interest in the online world, including the various Social Media sites, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, etc.
- Exceptional photography skills/talent (video skills are a bonus)
- Flexibility to work evenings/and or weekends as required, especially during peak period
The CNE is committed to the learning and growth of its employees and works to provide opportunities for skill development. Some learned skills in this role may include:
- Further develop technological skills
- Ability to take initiative
- Further develop both verbal and written communication skills
- Further develop photography and photo editing skills
- Organization skills
- Further develop interpersonal skills
- Teamwork and collaboration skills
- Decision making skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Attention to detail
Invitation to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and covering letter (optional) outlining related experience and qualifications to the attention of the CNE, Human Resources Department.
Please note only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted. At the CNE we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported.
The CNE offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.