Software Engineer, Backend
The Ten Thousand Coffees (10KC) Engineering team is growing and is looking for people to contribute to building a product that our users will love and bring meaningful impact in their career development. We're looking for a Backend Software Engineer who will build, test, maintain, and iterate on our backend services and infrastructure written in NodeJS and Python, improve our DevOps, and be an integral member of our Engineering team.
Engineering at Ten Thousand Coffees follows a very simple framework: ship continually, test thoroughly, reflect and iterate. Our product practice follows a lean approach, where user validation is critical, and the user is the central focus of our product decisions. We believe in clean code, owning the quality of our product, and practicing empathy for both our users and our colleagues.
What you'll do:
- Ship highly scalable backend services and infrastructure : You with the CTO and other members of the engineering team to build test, maintain backend services and infrastructure (NodeJS) with focus on security, performance, and reliability. You will also be responsible for architecting and building infrastructure so that 10KC can integrate with third-party APIs to make 10KC enterprise-ready.
- Contribute to scaling our backend engineering: You will work with the CTO and other members of the engineering team to improve our backend architecture to ensure everyone in the Engineering team is shipping secure and reliable backend code. You will contribute in setting up systems follow best practices for developing RESTful APIs (NodeJs, ExpressJS), scaling backend services (Google Cloud AppEngine, Cloud Tasks, Cloud Scheduler, etc.), clean and scalable database architecture (MongoDB), and DevOps maintenance and improvements.
- Own development, testing, and maintenance E2E: You will be responsible in ensuring that the features you deploy are of quality and are responsible for shipping, testing, and iterating them. You will build, document and maintain tests, features and infrastructure.
- Be an integral member of our Engineering team: You will collaborate with other members of the engineering team through stand-ups, peer code reviews, retro, and pair-programming when necessary. You will help shape our Engineering team culture to have high humility and low egos. You must be able communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you're explaining technical decisions in writing or in real time. In disagreements, you must engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
What you bring:
- Experience working with any of the following: NodeJS, RESTful APIs (ExpressJS), Databases (MongoDB, BigQuery), Microservices (Cloud functions), Unit/Integration testing (Jest), Enterprise Integrations (SAML, ADFS, OIDC, Okta, AzureAD, etc.)
- You're pragmatic and business-oriented. You understand that working at a scale-up, great engineering is about solving business problems faster and better than your competitors can. You understand the importance of shipping with speed and quality in world of limited time and resources and that done is better than perfect.
- You put solving user problems first. You deeply care about who we're building for and understand the impact of the product you're shipping. You believe that getting the product to the hands of users as fast as possible is the best way to learn about how to solve their problem.
You'll like thrive in this role if you:
- You have a proven track record of success building production-level software.
- You are familiar with Angular or any other modern frontend frameworks.
- You are resourceful in finding answers to questions and will learn anything you need to to get your job done.
- Are connected to the 10KC mission of democratizing network and opportunity (bonus points if you've worked in HR Tech before)
- You approach, interact, and communicate with others empathetically whether that's our users, or your colleagues.
10KC Tech Stack
- Angular (Frontend)
- Angular Material / NGZorro (Design system)
- NGRX (State Management)
- Jest (Testing)
- Node (Backend)
- Google Cloud Services (App Engine, Compute Engine, Cloud Functions)
- Jest (Testing)
- Webstorm (IDE)
- Github (VCS/Project Management)
- Figma / Notion (Design / Collaboration)
About Ten Thousand Coffees
We’re Ten Thousand Coffees (10KC), pioneers of the enterprise talent development space. Our platform smart matches colleagues together to develop through informal, virtual coffee chats. We’ve built award winning partnerships to build connectivity and talent development in enterprise, academic and industry organizations. Our clients include Fortune 1000s like RBC, AIG, PwC, McKesson, post-secondary academic institutions across Canada, and diversity networks like Ascend and Out Leadership. We have big plans to grow and are building a world-class team to help us meet and exceed our ambitious goals.
We celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allow our employees and our product to deliver on our mission of democratizing opportunity.
Ten Thousand Coffees is now permanently remote and building a digital-first culture. We welcome applications from across Canada.
*Please note that our system displays PDF resumes more clearly & preserves your formatting. Other formats are welcome, but PDF is preferred.*