Finance & Governance / Finance & GouvernanceFull TimeToronto, ON
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week. You will occasionally be required to work outside of core hours and on weekends to support organization-wide events & programs.
Location: Remote working available – head office based in Toronto, Ontario
The Students Commission of Canada (SCC) is a charitable organization that purposefully works with others to ensure that young people are valued, heard and their ideas for improving themselves, the lives of their peers and communities are put into action. We are the lead organization for the Centre of Excellence for Youth Engagement (CEYE) which is a network of youth, organizations, and academics focused on generating evidence and best practices on youth engagement programs, initiatives, and interventions. CEYE has developed a youth engagement definition for the Canadian context as well as a comprehensive youth engagement framework. The SCC is grounded in our four pillars: Respect, Listen, Understand, Communicate™.
What is the opportunity?
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Finance Manager will provide direction on and help to optimize & build the Finance function within the organization. The Finance Manager will lead the Finance team in ensuring accuracy and timeliness of financial reports, the strengthening of internal controls and the efficient operation of the accounting department.
The SCC is a committed team, where everyone jumps in to help with other projects and tasks as required for the success of the organization and the betterment of young people’s lives.
About the Role
What will you do?
- Provide financial advice & guidance to the Executive Director and leadership team, in line with the Strategic Plan. This includes supporting the generation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reports, including appropriate analysis and recommendations.
- The SCC is a project-based organization, the Finance Manager will also be required to support the Executive Director in tracking project budgets and preparing monthly, quarterly and annual project reports based on funder budgeting and reporting requirements.
- Work with the Executive Director to preparing annual budget; administer and oversee financial plans and project budgets in collaboration with the leadership team.
- Prepare financial information for Board Meetings (six per year)
- Accountable for government reporting, including the annual charity return and semi-annual HST return.
- Review reports on all accounting activities including accounts payables, accounts receivable, account reconciliations, billing and collections, and project budgets.
- Maintain and optimize Quickbooks as a contact and financial management reporting system, ensuring effective tracking and compliance systems against contract deliverables and obligations; develop, maintain and monitor policies and procedures to guarantee appropriate internal controls
- Responsible for risk-management; ability to identify, evaluate, mitigate, and monitor operational and strategic risks as they pertain to Finances.
- Lead the annual charitable audit process, working with external auditor; as well as specific audits as required by funders; prepares all audit materials in advance of the audit with assistance from Executive Director and Senior Bookkeeper.
- Support project funder audits when requested by funder
- Oversee Payroll management, including employee benefit administration in conjunction with the Culture & Values team.
- Provide leadership, supervision, and support to the accounts receivable/payable bookkeeper.
- Complies with federal, provincial, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
What do you need to succeed?
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in financial management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration or Commerce and/or professional accounting designation (CGA, CPA) and/or relevant years of experience.
- Bilingual French/English is an asset.
- Advanced/expert level Excel skills with exemplary attention-to-detail.
- Experience using Quickbooks (Desktop & Online).
- Experience with Payroll Administration (experience with Ceridian preferred).
- Experience in a Finance role within the non-profit sector.
- Experience with budgeting-cash flow and auditing, and full-cycle accounting.
- A “can-do” attitude, looking for potential solutions and ways that things can be done better.
- Leadership skills; ability to synthesize best practices from existing systems, excited by the idea of building process from the ground-up and ability to work effectively with and train a team, including Finance and non-Finance staff.
- Adaptable, detail-oriented, organized and able to context-switch, excited about being a part of a team and motivated by team success.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and problem-solving skills. Looking for someone who believes that Respect, Listening, Understanding and Communication ™ (our Four Pillars) are inherently valuable to meaningful and lasting work.
What’s in it for you?
Join a talented team and make a lasting impact on a growing organization in the youth-serving sector. We strive to generate sparks for positive change and amplify the voice of youth by helping to ensure that their stories are valued and heard. We turn knowledge into action, and action into knowledge, by strengthening a network of partners dedicated to youth thriving. We are inclusive and supportive, and work with vision and passion and strive to integrate head, heart, feet and spirit in all that we do.
We invite applications from across Canada. We welcome all applicants for this position regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ability, age, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free virtual job experience, starting with the job application process. If accommodations are needed during the job selection process, please let us know. All information received will be kept confidential.