Tech Team / équipe techniqueFull TimeCanada
Status: Permanent Full-Time, Salaried
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week - Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm. You will occasionally be required to work outside of core hours and on weekends (2-3 times per year) to support organization-wide events & programs.
Location: Can work remotely anywhere within Canada
The Students Commission of Canada (SCC) is a charitable organization that purposefully works with others to ensure that young people are valued, heard and their ideas for improving themselves, the lives of their peers and communities are put into action. We are the lead organization for the Centre of Excellence for Youth Engagement (CEYE) which is a network of youth, organizations, and academics focused on generating evidence and best practices on youth engagement programs, initiatives, and interventions. CEYE has developed a youth engagement definition for the Canadian context as well as a comprehensive youth engagement framework. The SCC is grounded in our four pillars: Respect, Listen, Understand, Communicate™.
What is the opportunity?
We are seeking a talented and passionate technologist to join our team to lead the enhancement of our Sharing the Stories (StS) platform, which serves as the basis of our subscriber model for youth-serving organizations. The StS Platform provides the tools for data collection from youth and community participants through surveys as well as the evaluation tools for our subscribers and researchers to measure the impact and outcomes of their programs and activities.
You will work with our small core team collaboratively to build new features and capabilities for our StS Platform, as well as re-engineer existing features to make them more scalable and futureproof.
The Full Stack Developer role requires a highly specialized, technical skill-set and an agile mindset with the ability to think creatively and work collaboratively to solve complex problems.
About the Role
What will you do?
· Assume the role of Technical Lead, and closely partner with the Research Manager, Art Director and analyst teams
· Provide technical leadership and hands-on contribution to SCC website, StS platform, and 3rd party partner interfaces
· Set the vision and establish strategic direction for the SCC technology stack with core leadership team
· Build exciting, engaging, user/subscriber-focused applications by focusing on software engineering/design/architecture excellence
· Provide leadership and expert counsel in establishing and implementing standards, guidelines and best practices across SCC
· Coordinate with IT security to implement security policies
What do you need to succeed?
- You’re a team player and technical mentor, keen to coach others and share ideas with your team
- You think digital-first and believe all customer experiences should be simple and effective
- You’re a creative problem solver, outcome focused, and passionate about building software products and taking ownership
- You’re an exceptional communicator who is able to articulate technical issues in plain language to interface with a variety of key stakeholders
- Experience working with LAMP/MAMP stack
- Strong experience with development frameworks and MVC patterns in general, including RESTful APIs
- Familiarity with unit testing frameworks and methodologies
- History of working with internal partners and end-users to develop technical plans to meet product roadmaps
- Be a team player, approach challenges with an open mindset and a curious disposition
Nice to Have:
- Experience working with Laravel
- Experience working with bilingual (English & French) websites
- Familiarity with Jenkins/Automation and Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines
- Familiarity with debugging techniques and tools for front end web development
- Software Development background and experience building architecture roadmaps
- Experience delivering public-facing applications that employ modern user experience and security best practices
- Interest in mentoring co-op students and future team members
What’s in it for you?
Make a lasting impact through strengthening and enhancing our Sharing the Stories (StS) platform, which supports youth and organizations to track outcomes from their programs. We strive to generate sparks for positive change and amplify the voice of youth by helping to ensure that their stories are valued and heard. We turn knowledge into action, and action into knowledge, by strengthening a network of partners dedicated to youth thriving. We are inclusive and supportive, and work with vision and passion and strive to integrate head, heart, feet and spirit in all that we do.
We invite applications for this position from across Canada. We welcome all applicants for this position regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ability, age, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free virtual job experience, starting with the job application process. If accommodations are needed during the job selection process, please let us know. All information received will be kept confidential.