AdministrationPart TimeBurnaby, BC
Internal/External Job Posting
The Simon Fraser Student Society (SFSS) is a not-for-profit organization that represents all Undergraduate Students at the Simon Fraser University (SFU). The SFSS provides our members with a broad range of advocacy work, services, and events. The vision of the SFSS is students thriving everywhere and is realized through our support of students to reach their full potential- by providing resources and services that represent, connect and benefit our membership.
The Simon Fraser Student Society is an equal opportunity Employer. Preference will be shown to internal candidates. Significant and sustained effort will be made to encourage candidates from marginalized and equity-deserving groups and with lived experience of marginalization and oppression (including Black, Indigenous and People of Colour, LGBTQIA2S+ and persons with disabilities and who are neurodivergent) to apply.
This is a part-time (20 hours/week) temporary position and is included in the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3338-5 at a wage rate of $19.50 per hour with additional benefits as defined in the Collective Agreement.
Description: The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for providing secretarial and administrative support to the SFSS Council, Committees, Executive, Board Organizer and Operations Organizer in the form of providing effective organizational scheduling, Council and committee agenda preparation, minuting and other tasks that may be assigned.
Goal: To support the work of the SFSS Council/Committees, Board Organizer and Operations Organizer as indicated in the description above.
Working Relationship(s)/Role in Organizational Structure: The Administrative Assistant will work under the supervision of the Board Organizer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Prepare and distribute agendas for SFSS Council, Executive, committees, working groups, and other meetings as required
● Transcribe minutes of SFSS Council, Executive, committees, and working groups
● Format and distribute minutes to appropriate channels in a timely fashion
● Schedule meetings of the SFSS Council, Executive, committees, working groups, and other meetings as required
● Compile all Council, Executive and committee member schedules, and in consultation
with the President and Committee Chairs, arrange semester meeting times
● Track and compile decisions of Committees, Council and Executive and upload the records of decisions on SFSS website
● Assist and report to the Board Organizer regarding tasks assigned
● Other duties as directed
Required Skills and Experience:
● Excellent computing skills (i.e., Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe & G-Suite)
● Excellent transcription, writing and word processing skills
● Ability to take detailed minutes
● Excellent organizational abilities; able to prioritize multiple tasks; strong attention to detail
● Ability to work in a self-supervisory, multi-task environment within clear timelines while using a high degree of judgment, initiative, and discretion
● Administrative ability and experience
● Typing Speed of approximately 65 words per minute
● Ability to work flexible hours when needed and to possibly work evenings
● Must be available for Executive meetings
● Ability to work remotely and at the Student Union Building
Preferred Skills and Experience:
● An understanding of the role of a Student Society
● Experience in a non-profit, membership-based board/committee driven organization
● Experience with Robert’s Rules of Order
Please send your documents as PDF files in Collage. Applications must be received no later than 6:00 pm (PST) on March 21, 2023.
This is a one-year temporary position ending on March 29, 2024. Applicants must be available to work late afternoons/evenings from Monday to Friday.
*This position allows the successful candidate the option to work shifts remotely
Please Note: The SFSS is an independently incorporated organization working within the SFU community. This position is not an SFU staff position. For more information about the SFSS, please visit our website.