Student Union Building Part TimeBurnaby, BC
Building Assistant (Hiring 3)
(Part-Time, Student Position)
The Simon Fraser Student Society (SFSS) is a not-for-profit organization that represents all Undergraduate Students at Simon Fraser University (SFU). The SFSS provides our members with a broad range of advocacy work, services, and events. The vision of the SFSS is realized through our support of students to reach their full potential- by providing resources and services that represent, connect and benefit our membership.
The Simon Fraser Student Society is an equal opportunity employer. Preference will be shown to internal candidates. The SFSS is committed to making a sustained effort in recruiting, nominating, and supporting skilled candidates who have a commitment to equality and justice, and we encourage applications from women, Black, Indigenous, and members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, and members of LGBTQ+, cultural, religious and linguistic communities.
This is a part-time (up to 28 hours/week) student position offering between 8 to 28 hours a week (depending on availability and operational needs), and is included in the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3338-5 at a wage rate of $19.50 per hour with additional benefits as defined in the Collective Agreement.
Description: The Building Assistant is primarily responsible for front-line delivery of membership services and the operation of the SFSS Student Union Building (SUB).
Goal: To provide consistent, effective and smooth operation of the SUB, providing the highest levels of service to the Society’s membership. To ensure the day-to-day tasks of the SUB are carried out in an effective, efficient, timely, and service oriented manner, and to ensure the goals of the Student Society are met, and its policies carried out.
Working Relationship(s)/ Role in Organizational Structure: The Building Assistant(s) work closely with, takes direction from and reports to the Building Manager, President (and Operations Organizer). Building Assistants are supervised by Building Coordinators and at times may also work with the MSC Events and other Society staff.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide support to the Building Coordinators
- Provide front-line service for members in the SUB, including handling general inquiries, delivering event support, services and booking appointments as required
- Provide administrative support for SUB bookings (not tied to Student Clubs/DSUs), email management, opening and closing duties, tidying, maintaining the Society’s poster boards, and other work as required
- Basic room re-sets in meeting/event rooms and spaces as required
- Ad Hoc support for all events in the Student Union Building
- Various administration tasks pertaining to the operation of the Student Union Building
- Provide input on the operations and activities of the SUB, its services and programs
- Enforce all building policies, rules and regulations
Skills & Experience:
- Must be registered as an SFU undergraduate student
- Ability to work efficiently in a high-pressure, multi-tasking environment, within clear timelines
- Proficient in Microsoft and Google Suite, with aptitude to learn new software and systems
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Understanding of the role of the Student Society for its membership, in terms of advocacy, representation, and the provision of services
- Ability to lift, move and carry materials in accordance with WorkSafeBC guidelines
Please send your cover letter and resume as PDF files in Collage. Applications must be received no later than 5:00 pm (PST) on August 17th, 2022. Hours of work may vary. Must be available to work days, evenings and weekends. The successful applicant must be available to start right away.
We thank all who apply, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please Note: The SFSS is an independently incorporated organization working within the SFU community. This position is not an SFU staff position. For more information about the SFSS, please visit our website at: www.sfss.ca.