AdministrationPart TimeBurnaby, BC
(Permanent, Part-Time position)
The Simon Fraser Student Society (SFSS) is a not-for-profit organization that represents all Undergraduate Students at the Simon Fraser University (SFU). The SFSS provides our members with a broad range of advocacy work, services, and events. The vision of the SFSS is students thriving everywhere and is realized through our support of students to reach their full potential- by providing resources and services that represent, connect and benefit our membership.
The Simon Fraser Student Society is an equal opportunity employer.
This is a part-time (up to 28 hours) permanent position and is included in the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3338-5 at a wage rate of $15.63 per hour with additional benefits as defined in the Collective Agreement. *Please note that wages are currently being negotiated at the collective bargaining table between the SFSS and CUPE and are subject to improvements.
Description: The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for providing secretarial and administrative support to the SFSS Council, Committees, Executive, Board Organizer and Operations Organizer in the form of providing effective organizational scheduling, Council and committee agenda preparation, minuting and other tasks that may be assigned.
Goal: To support the work of the SFSS Council/Committees, Board Organizer and Operations Organizer as indicated in the description above.
Working Relationship(s)/Role in Organizational Structure: The Administrative Assistant will work under the supervision of the Board Organizer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and distribute agendas for SFSS Council, Executive, committees, working groups, and other meetings as required
- Transcribe minutes of SFSS Council, Executive, committees, working groups
- Ensures that the appropriate facilities, rooms and equipment are booked as required in a timely fashion
- Format and distribute minutes to appropriate channels in a timely fashion
- Upload approved meeting minutes on the SFSS website
- Schedule meetings of the SFSS Council, Executive, committees, working groups, and other meetings as required
- Compile all Council, Executive and committee member schedules, and in consultation with the President, and Committee Chairs arrange semester meeting times, book rooms and arrange for equipment as needed
- Track and compile decisions of Committees and Executive and forward to the Financial Office
- Assist and report to the Board Organizer regarding tasks assigned
- Other duties as directed
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excellent computing skills (i.e., Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe & G-Suite)
- Excellent transcription, writing and word processing skills
- Ability to take detailed minutes
- Excellent organizational abilities; able to prioritize multiple tasks; strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a self-supervisory, multi-task environment, within clear timelines while using high degree of judgment, initiative, and discretion
- Administrative ability and experience
- Typing Speed of approximately 65 words per minute
- Ability to work flexible hours when needed and to possibly work evenings
- Must be available for Executive meetings
- Ability to work remotely and at the Student Union Building
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- An understanding of the role of a Student Society
- Experience in a non-profit, membership-based board/committee driven organization
- Experience with Robert’s Rules of Order
This position allows the successful candidate to temporarily work remotely until the SFSS resumes its in-person operations.
Please send your documents as PDF files in Collage. Applications must be received no later than 9:00 am (PST) on September 27, 2021. Applicants must be available to work during regular office hours Monday to Friday.
The SFSS is committed to making a sustained effort in recruiting, nominating, and supporting skilled candidates who have a commitment to equality and justice, and we encourage applications from women, Black, Indigenous, and members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, and members of LGBTQ+, cultural, religious and linguistic communities.
We thank all who apply, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please Note: The SFSS is an independently incorporated organization working within the SFU community. This position is not an SFU staff position. For more information about the SFSS, please visit our website.