Kitchen Programs Coordinator
CLIENT SERVICESFull TimeMalton , ON
Job Title: Kitchen Coordinator
Report to: Executive Director
Location: Divided between Mississauga and Brampton locations
Seva Food Bank is a young, dynamic organization with a team committed to continuous growth, innovation, impact and community building. Each month, we provide safe, nutritious and culturally-appropriate food to over 900 low-income families of all backgrounds living in Mississauga. Our mandate is to coordinate and deliver programs that address the food needs of their clients and support them in their journey to self-reliance by addressing the root causes and consequences of hunger. Refer to our mission, vision and strategy at www.sevafoodbank.com.
● Do you have a deeply held belief that hunger and poverty should just not exist in Canada?
● Are you an advocate about the power of food to feed, nourish, heal, connect and grow individuals families and communities?
● Are you passionate about ensuring everyone has equitable access to good food and a bright future?
● Are you great at delivering frontline programming to clients, in partnership with staff and volunteers?
● Have you created, coordinated, funded and delivered high impact programming aligned with strategic goals?
● Have you ever dreamed of running your own busy kitchen with all the pressures, pleasures, yummy food, learning, experimentation and (yes even) the dirty dishes that go along with it?
If you answered an emphatic YES to all these questions, then Seva Food Bank is the place for you.
The Seva Community Teaching Kitchen
Seva Food Bank operates two community teaching kitchens located in Malton and Brampton. The Malton Kitchen is located in the heart of our food bank, while the Brampton kitchen is located in a social services hub with various agencies. Our mission is to coordinate and deliver programs that improve the food security needs of our clients and support their journey to self-reliance by addressing the root causes of their hunger. The goal is to create a long-term, positive impact for food security by teaching foundational life skills to improve overall health and well being with culinary training.
Seva Food Bank is seeking an experienced leader to serve as our Kitchen Programs Coordinator. As the lead of all kitchen programming you will develop and manage all aspects of the programs center around the Seva Community Teaching Kitchens , according to the strategic direction set by the Executive Director, who in turn reports to the Board of Directors. The role is unique in that the Kitchen Programs Coordinator will be responsible for the launch of the first generation of kitchen programs for Seva Food Bank in collaboration with our Chef. The launch is inclusive of the development, implementation and evaluation of the programs as well as providing operational oversight. There is an opportunity for the successful candidate of this role to grow further within the organization.
In this leadership position, you will play a crucial role in the success of Seva Food Bank by creatively leveraging partnerships and resources to create and deliver highly impactful programs. The Coordinator will be the link between all kitchen programs that engage the community and become a crucial part of the network of food security programs, including food production groups, micro food businesses and social enterprise. The Kitchen Coordinator will strengthen Seva's volunteering model and bring it into line with the Community Kitchen’s goals. The candidate will search for, encourage and support the emerging leadership skills of community kitchen participants and potential volunteers. If you are a passionate team player, strategic planner and feel an affinity with our mission, vision and strategy, this role is likely a good fit for you.
This position's purpose is to create, implement and grow food related teaching programs for our clients in line with Seva’s strategic goals. You will:
● Work with the Executive Director and Chef to develop and implement a program strategy
● Support the submission of relevant grant applications and follow up reporting.
● Lead outreach to relevant community partners to develop new kitchen programming and working relationships.
● Establish and manage relationships with effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders, including clients, volunteers and partners.
● In cooperation with the Executive Director seek out program funding opportunities, develop applications, and report to funders
● Develop and execute standard procedures for day-to-day operations of kitchen and related logistics including usage, training, safety, cleaning, maintenance and managing supplies.
● Manage the kitchen programs budget, maintain up to date working documents and submit regular program reports to fulfill internal/external requirements. Monitor program costs and expenses and report to ED on any variances and exemption requests.
● Train, supervise and manage volunteers, co-op and practicum students working on kitchen programming.
● Create an inclusive, welcoming and supportive environment during all program sessions.
● Develop, implement and evaluate programs to improve the food skills, food literacy and confidence of community members.
● In addition to coordinating programs led by others, also lead programs when required.
● Actively collaborate with a supportive and inclusive staff and volunteer team to work together efficiently, effectively and respectfully.
● Plan and execute a calendar of one-time and regularly scheduled kitchen-cantered programs, events, workshops and fundraisers.
● Ensure that food preparation, storage and service areas are maintained according to Public Health Department and Health and Safety Standards.
● Market and promote programs to relevant partners and communities, especially new or specialized programs.
● University or college education in chef training, food or beverage programming or related / equivalent education, training and/or professional experience/project management
● Post-Secondary diploma in Business Management, Culinary Arts or Hospitality considered an asset
● Patience, creativity, flexibility, compassion and sensitivity for vulnerable populations.
● Experience working with food programs that serve low-income individuals is an asset.
● Experience managing staff or volunteers in a not-for-profit setting.
● Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
● Experience managing program budgets.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Strong time management, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills.
● Ability to adapt and be flexible in fast-paced, dynamic and fast-paced, not-for-profit environment.
● Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.).
● Ability to work flexible hours and some weekend work is required.
● Food Handler Trainer Certificate is essential.
● Must hold a valid Ontario driver’s license and have access to a vehicle.
● Police check will be required.
● CPR training is an asset.
● Knowledge of dietary needs for people with advanced disease is an asset.
● Knowledge of cost analysis, fiscal management, and budgeting techniques
Seva Food Bank is committed to providing and maintaining a workplace that is free of recognized hazards. This policy is intended to safeguard the health and well-being of employees and their families, and volunteers who spend time in our facility from the risks associated with COVID-19. Effective November 2021 all staff and volunteers at Seva Food Bank will be required to provide proof of full vaccination with a COVID-19 vaccine, with the exception of those who have an approved medical exemption or accommodation.
Seva Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
The last day to apply for this role is before 11:59pm July 1st 2022. Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing an interest in this position, however, only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.