Junior DevOps Engineer
DevelopmentFull TimeOttawa, ON
Rewind is looking for a Junior DevOps Engineer to help deliver fast and reliable applications and services like Rewind Backups and Rewind Copy.
Rewind is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career. We are an equal-opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion.
ABOUT THE JOB
The job of operating fast and reliable systems is mainly about making life as boring as possible by considering and mitigating all the things that could go wrong before they do. Operations shine the brightest when there’s nothing to see – systems just run. But getting there is both difficult to accomplish, and hard to sustain.
Our standard stack is deployed on AWS and includes PostgeSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, S3, Ruby on Rails, Lambda, ElasticBeanstalk, with a spritz of Docker.
Here are some things we’ve worked on recently that might give you a better sense of what you’ll be doing day to day:
- Creation of rewind-start; a CLI for taking new developers from bare laptop to operational development environment
- Creation of rewind-connect; a wrapper for AWS SSM for connecting to Rewind staging and production systems
- Aggregating webhooks with DynamoDB and SQS delay queues
- Automated Terraform deployments to AWS with Github Actions
- Upgrading production PostgreSQL instances, Elasticseach clusters, and Elastic Beanstalk to a new releases
- Creation of an automated reporting system for delivering storage costs to finance
- Migration of the development Docker containers to Alpine Linux
- Design, development, and maintenance of tooling to simplify the life-cycle of our cloud service in multiple environments from build to roll out
- Integration of system monitors to provide insight into application state, health, access/intrusion control, and logging/traceability
- Provisioning and deployment of new infrastructure to the cloud with infrastructure as code
- Assisting and facilitating compliance audits
- Troubleshooting problems in our build and deployment systems
- Contributing to estimation and scheduling of DevOps and Operational scope
- Collaboration with the greater team to drive operations/deployment considerations in product development
You’ll be working hand-in-hand with a team that is happy to answer questions and share their collective wisdom at each step of the way. And your experience and background will join ours! We have worlds to learn and we’re eager to do it together. You can expect to teach us, coach us, and expect the same in return.
This is a remote job. You’re free to work where you work best: home office, co-working space, coffeeshops. We don’t even have an office at the moment! However, we do prefer that your working hours fall within the North American time zones so as to provide as much overlap with our existing team and to ensure you aren't forced to work outside of regular daytime hours.
We’re looking for candidates with 1-3 years of experience for this role. You should have been doing this or similar work (programming or QA) before in a professional setting during that time.
As a remote role, communication skills are critical. You need an observant eye for details, whether it’s with code, spelling, or something else entirely. Prove it to us – address your cover letter to Ms. Rails.
You might have a CS degree. You might not. That’s not what we’re looking for. We care about what you can do and how you do it, not about how you got here. A strong track record of conscientious, thoughtful work speaks volumes.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our company. Rewind is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.
We appreciate people who can take a stand yet commit even when they disagree. We subject ideas to rigorous consideration and challenge each other, but all remember that we’re here for the same purpose: to do good work together. That comes with direct feedback, openness to each others’ experience, and willingness to show up for each other as well as for the technical work at hand.
ABOUT OUR PAY AND BENEFITS
We aim to pay at competitive rates relative to the candidates seniority and physical location. We also offer stock options so that you can share in the success of the business. We assess seniority relative to the team at Rewind during the interviewing process.
Our benefits are all aimed at supporting a life well lived away from work. None are about trapping people at the office or working endless overtime. Just the opposite. We’re all about reasonable working hours, sufficient vacation time, summer hours, fitness, wellness, food, education, and charity. See the full list.
You can expect a team that listens, and to be heard. You can expect to give and provide direct feedback. You can expect to be counted on. You can expect to do your best work and build a career here. We build our apps, our teams, and our company for the long haul, with a strong eye to other teams’ effectiveness & happiness, from design to support and operations. A healthy, resilient app starts with a healthy, resilient organization.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send an application that speaks directly to this position. There are no right answers or cookie-cutter expectations. Be authentic, be yourself, be creative, and take your time with the application. We want to see your personality. There’s no prize for being the first to submit! Stock cover letters won’t do. Tell us about:
- why you want to work at Rewind and not somewhere else.
- a time you taught yourself a new skill to complete a job or project.
- some of the work we do; introduce yourself as a colleague and explain how you can help us
- your favourite meal; why you love it and how you prepare it
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying, even if you aren’t able to check every box above.
We look forward to hearing from you!