DigitalFull TimeToronto, ON
Hey there! We’re Relish, a group of interactive innovators committed to improving how people live, learn, work, and play. We immerse our users in digital worlds that thrill, delight, and disrupt. We’re a tight, nimble team that does mighty things. Check out some of our recent projects here: https://reli.sh/digital/work/ & https://reli.sh/games/work/
Who are you?
You’re looking to apply your skills to next-level web applications and web games. Your desire to keep learning new things helps you to embrace new technologies and basically take an idea from inception to delivery – writing efficient, readable, well-tested code to accomplish tasks and solve technical problems. Whether it’s a high-performance backend application or a dynamic, animated frontend design, you’re confident that you can get it done. You’re a thinker, a doer, a dreamer, and a maker.
- You know Node.js, the DOM, Git, and some of the big frameworks like Vue and React like the back of your hand. You strive for high-performance code and you’ve been doing this long enough that you’ve made every mistake in the book at least once.
- You’ve had experience working with backend-as-a-service (BaaS) platforms like Firebase.
- You’re comfortable with configuring task runners and bundlers like Webpack, Rollup, and npm scripts.
- As a bonus, you’ve got experience with any of these: WebAR/VR, Canvas, WebGL, Next.js, Pixi.js, php+Wordpress, Capacitor, React Native, GraphQL.
- You’ve got a reputation for producing high-quality code, collaborating with QA to solve problems quickly, and are responsive to questions. You jump at the opportunity to coach and mentor other developers.
- You’re a strong communicator and you ask questions to gain clarity when things are ill-defined. You knuckle down to ensure deadlines are met and customers are happy.
- You’re confident in your creativity and ability, willing to have your ideas built upon, and are pumped to work with design and product teams to create games you’d love to play.
Wait, what? That’s me! Tell me more! What would my day look like?
You’ll help increase the quality of our code through attention to detail in pull requests, refactoring, and leading by example in doing test-driven development, pair programming, and mentoring. You’ll start with a standup meeting in the morning where your Project Producer will outline what’s on your plate for the next little while. You’ll typically be working on more than one project at a time, but we try to minimize context-switching by batching project tasks into full days worth of work as much as possible.
- From concept through to launch, you’ll dive in and support product development including task time estimation, app/game design, coding, mentoring, prototyping, testing, and debugging.
- You’ll take the lead, do code reviews, and collaborate at every opportunity
- You’ll help support and grow other people or systems in a way that benefits everyone.
- You’ll develop and test reusable components and internal tools..
- You’ll participate in code reviews, pair-programming, project reviews, API design reviews, technical reviews of tickets with in-depth yet constructive criticism; and give and take feedback.
- You’ll be vocal about efficiency and quality, and share what you know about how to improve.
- You’ll participate in 1:1 check-ins with the Director of Development on a regular basis to give feedback, get coaching, and stay connected.
Important to know: Since COVID began we have been working remotely. We will likely reincorporate some in-person office time in a hybrid way in the future, so location IS still important (Toronto or Ottawa) but until then your day will start with staying home and hopping into our Google Workspace to catch up on project chats and then asking your Producer what you should be focused on that day. You’ll be expected to participate in a quick daily standup with your Producer and team, and provide regular status updates.
Yeah, I want in! How do we get started?
We need to see some evidence of your development experience, how you’ve made an impact on other teams, and understand where you’re located (or if you’re willing to relocate to Toronto or Ottawa to be a part of our team). If you have a GitHub account and/or portfolio please be sure to include a link to it in your application. If not, please tell us in text about the breadth and depth of your experience, and how you’ve made an impact.
Apply today or send an email out to email@example.com if you’ve got questions.
Limited time offer! Don’t miss your shot! This opportunity is only available to those eligible to work in Canada. Preference will be given to those willing to relocate to our Toronto or Ottawa-based studios.