AnimationFull TimeVancouver Island
Relish Animation – a division of Relish Interactive – is searching for a CG Lighter to join our team on Vancouver Island (yes – Island!) where we are building out the hub of our animation division.
The CG Lighter will be responsible for the lighting and rendering of elements needed to achieve looks in a variety of styles. The CG Lighter will collaborate heavily with the Editor, Art Directors and Texture artists to achieve the artistic style and level needed for the production. The CG Lighter will ensure that all shots are complete, lighting rigs are optimised and organised so that they are ready for use in production. The lighting artist also creates any necessary documentation for the overseas lighting launch for the production.
Reports to: CG Supervisor, Director
- Creates and designs lighting for complex scenes; develops look for assets, animation files, simulations, and effects elements
- Works with supervisors and compositors to ensure that all elements delivered work as needed to achieve the desired look
- Establish direct and reflected lighting, shadows, and compositing for each assigned shot
- Ensure that assigned shots fit in the continuity of a sequence and fulfill the vision of the Head of Animation, Editor, SVP, Animation while meeting the production schedule
- Create and fine tune the direct lighting, reflections, shadows, and final compositing for each assigned shot, working with the resources and support provided
- Ensure quality of final frames and cleanliness of setups
- Will optimise, refine and correct model geometry to satisfy the artistic requirements of the project
- Contribute innovative and original ideas towards optimising lighting and look development for the production
- The lighting artist ensure that all shots are complete, lighting rigs are optimised and organised so that they are ready for use in production
- Reinforce the importance of deadlines, and alert to any problem arising that could affect schedule
- Assist in the documentation and communication of technical and process guidelines for lighting creation and implementation
- Bachelor's degree in animation, film or visual effects (or other relevant program)
- Minimum five 3 years of experience in visual effects for feature films
- Proficiency with Maya and Redshift preferred.
- Clear understanding of color space, image-based lighting, shading, and advanced rendering methodologies
- Able to multitask and complete tasks within production schedules and tight deadlines in an organized manner
- A team player who thrives in a collaborative environment and responds well to direction and guidance from supervisors
- High level of attention to detail with strong problem solving skills.
- Technical skills as well as an artistic eye for colour, light and FX.