CG Technical Director
Relish Animation – a division of Relish Interactive – is searching for a CG Technical Director to provide support on a CG web series for Mattel and various other animation projects. The position will be based on Vancouver Island (yes – Island!) where we are building out as the hub of our animation division.
The CG Technical Director will serve the needs of the production team from a technical standpoint. They will have a thorough knowledge of the entire CG production pipeline and work closely with the various teams (modeling/lighting/rigging/animation/rendering) to solve problems and create tools. They should have a thorough working knowledge of the different software packages used in production.
Reports to: Head of Animation
- Good working knowledge of Autodesk Maya CG production pipelines for animation with specific proficiency in look development, lighting, and render processes.
- Proficiency in Redshift and other rendering engines. This includes optimization of scenes for render, lowering render times, troubleshooting, etc.
- Working knowledge of cloud and local rendering solutions and their management.
- Capable of working with producers, directors, and all team members to effectively identify project requirements, manage resources, and meet deadlines.
- Capable of evaluating the team, identifying strengths, problem areas, and developing plans for improving performance and mentoring talent.
- Able to create and optimize proxies for animators.
- Able to do quality check of CG assets – including characters, props, and backgrounds.
- Expertise in grooming solutions (such as xGen) for animation.
- Hands on knowledge of dynamics, fluids, and simulations.
- Python and MEL scripting is ideal (mostly when optimizing processes).
- 3-5 years of experience in the CG animation industry.
- Attention to detail.
- Comfortable with client interactions.
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- Able to process lots of information from various departments and make informed decisions under pressure.