Kubernetes Engineer – Terraform Associate (AWS)
EngineeringFull TimeToronto, ON
Railz is a FinTech company that provides a single API to all major accounting software (QuickBooks, Xero, Sage, etc.) service providers and enables on-demand access to financial transactions, analytics, insights and reports on small business customers.
Our solution suits any lender, financial institution, accounting firm, auditor and tech developer that requires financial data on its small business customers for the purpose of assessing the financial health of a business.
Our Data-as-a-Service solution allows our customers to be up and running in hours. We provide quick, low cost and direct access to both existing and new customers’ accounting software via our single API.
Who You Are:
You are a talented Software Engineer or Systems Engineer with experience building and delivering highly-available distributed systems running on Kubernetes (EKS/GKE/AKS) and lifting the necessary infrastructure in major cloud providers such as AWS/GCP/Azure. You’re not afraid to identify areas of improvement and take the initiative! You have the desire to work and produce state-of-the-art cloud-native solutions, keep learning and master the latest, relevant technologies.
Working in the infrastructure team, you will be a key contributor in the design, implementation and delivery of our cloud-native financial data platform, APIs and enterprise applications.
- Pursue automation relentlessly by writing good automatable code: Terraform (HCL), Kubernetes (YAML), CI/CD pipelines (various DSLs), Dockerfiles and any other necessary scripting/programming in Bash, Node.js, Python and Golang.
- Manage & monitor cloud infrastructure, including NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Redis and RabbitMQ, as well as RDBMS such as MySQL and PostgreSQL.
- Diligently use Git for version control, Jira and Confluence for project management and documentation of stories & tasks, feature branches, pull-requests and code-reviews.
- Design, implement and manage AWS infrastructure and Kubernetes workloads following reference architectures, Infrastructure-as-Code and CI/CD.
- Think “Well-Architected”: Emphasis on security, reliability, performance efficiency, configuration management, cost optimization and operational excellence.
- Contribute your knowledge and ideas to enhance our SDLC and lead the constant refinement and evolution of our development practices.
Skills and Qualifications:
A high bar for writing quality code, craftsmanship, and attention to detail:
- Strong familiarity and practical experience with Git, Docker, Dockerfiles, and docker-compose
- Familiarity and practical experience with Linux (Amazon Linux, CentOS, Ubuntu, Alpine) and their package managers (yum, rpm, apt, apk)
- Effective knowledge of Bash scripting and common Linux/GNU utilities (awk, grep, sed, xargs, vim)
- Effective knowledge of SSH, ssh-keygen, ssh-add, SSH tunneling.
- Proficiency with at least one high-level programming language such as Node.js, Python or Golang.
Kubernetes & Kubernetes-native Continuous Delivery:
- Strong familiarity and practical experience with Kubernetes workloads and resources: Multi-container Pods, Deployments, StatefulSets, Services, Jobs, Ingress, PersistentVolumes, PersistentVolumeClaims, ConfigMaps, Secrets.
- Declarative object configuration with kubectl, Kustomize and Helm.
- GitOps and other Kubernetes-native CI/CD tooling such as ArgoCD and Tekton.
- Cluster administration, networking, RBAC, logging architecture, metrics
Infrastructure-as-Code on AWS (equivalent GCP/Azure considered):
- Effective knowledge of Terraform and remote state, the AWS Provider and Terraform modules. Good to know: Terragrunt, Atlantis, AWS CloudFormation.
- 5+ years of production-grade experience in major cloud environments, with at least 3 years working in the AWS ecosystem (GCP & Azure considered).
- AWS EKS, EC2 autoscaling, load balancing (ALB/NLB), Elastic IPs, VPC, NAT, EBS, EFS, Rotue53, CloudFront, S3, RDS Aurora, IAM.
Observability, Performance Monitoring and Log Analytics:
- Experience implementing performance monitoring and visualization with tools such as Prometheus, Grafana, NewRelic and AWS CloudWatch.
- Experience implementing log aggregation and visualization with tools such as Fluentd/Fluent Bit, Logstash, Kibana and AWS CloudWatch.
- Experience with SIEM and analytics solutions such as SumoLogic, DataDog or Elasticsearch.
- At least one of the following certifications: Certified Kubernetes Application Developer or Administrator (CKAD/CKA), HashiCorp Terraform Associate, or AWS Certified Solutions Architect or GCP Professional Cloud Architect
- Working knowledge of relational databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases such as MongoDB and Redis.
- Working knowledge of Agile (Scrum) Software Development Process methodologies
- Strong organizational skills, excellent communication and self-motivation skills
- B.Sc. in Computer Science / Computer Engineering
- Prior experience with SaaS products and startups
- Experience working with payment and financial platforms (e.g. Stripe, QuickBooks, etc.)
We work hard, and we have fun. Success is what motivates us everyday to be the best and keep winning in the market. We offer a variety of perks to ensure our team can always work hard and play hard:
- Plenty of paid time off for vacation and personal days
- Health Spending Account
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Support for remote workers
- Flexible work schedule
- Competitive salary, benefits and equity incentives for everyone!
- Innovation Days & Hackathon Days. For all who love to design and build.
- Railz is Great Place to Work Certified
We believe in being an equal opportunity employer and we celebrate diversity and differences of perspectives at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position is remote.