Software Developer (Java)
EngineeringFull TimeHead Office or Remote
We’re a startup based out of Waterloo, Canada building a smart, curious, and driven team that’s passionate about making software that helps sales reps sell better.
Prospect is a lead generation platform that intelligently sources contact data right inside of your web browser in real-time. The best sales teams from the top tech companies in the world use Prospect to crush their sales targets.
MORE ABOUT US
We’re currently a team of 10 people -- you will be #11.
We are profitable and self-funded (no VCs or investors). We did this because we want to do what’s best for our team and customers (not investors).
We have sane working hours; we don’t work weekends, take ample time off, and work ~8 hours a day.
You enjoy writing beautiful code. You care not just about whether the code works, but you think deeply about how well it performs, and how it will be understood by future developers.
You like shipping things. Whether it is bug fixes or features, you realize that every line of code is an opportunity to make a user’s experience better.
You ship often. You realize that the most efficient way to build a robust large application is by building it in smaller chunks and iterating upon user feedback.
You like getting feedback. Whether it is talking to real users or adding custom application metrics, you believe that getting real user data is a smart way to make decisions.
You are organized and autonomous. You don’t need someone to keep tabs on you all the time. You are able to take a goal, break it up into small tasks, and self-organize them in the best sequence to get the tasks achieved.
You are an excellent communicator. You try to make the best use of the tools available to use. You commit your code in small chunks and commit often.
OUR ENGINEERING TEAM RIGHT NOW
We are currently 6 developers. Our roles are divided based on the projects we work on.
Some of us are full stack and tend to jump between projects whereas some of us specialize in certain parts of the stack. Our stack currently looks like:
- Backend: Java 8 (REST API)
- Cloud: A blend of AWS and Google Cloud
- Database: PostgreSQL
- Frontend: ES6, TypeScript, React, and Redux
- Internal: GitLab for CI/CD and issue tracking
WHAT YOU WILL DO
You will be working on our backend which is a REST API written using modern Java practices and frameworks.
This is a high impact role. We’re looking for someone to take real ownership of one or two core features within the first year. You'll own some extremely important portions of our application that serve thousands of users.
We prioritize our internal projects based on what features our customers are requesting the most. Some things that you will work on include:
- Real-time data discovery – enhance and extend our real-time data discovery engine
- Performance – we’d like every API call to complete within 500ms
- Architecture – all core functionality should be designed in a way that it can be consumed as a standalone library
- DevOps – deploy internal applications in a scalable and fault-tolerant manner
- APIs – improve the depth of our integrations with 3rd party services, such as Salesforce
- 3+ years programming experience and 2+ years Java experience
- You know how to use Java in a modern way without enterprise bloat
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- We don’t require a degree but you should have demonstrated the ability to learn new things quickly (either self-learned, from a bootcamp, or from school)
- Worked at a startup or a small company before
- Experience with modern DevOps practices with AWS, GCP, Docker, and such
- A knack for taking a metrics-driven approach using Grafana or similar
- Experience with GitLab, Google Drive API, or Salesforce.com
COMPENSATION AND PERKS
- Salary: $70,000 - $90,000/year Canadian Dollars
- Work remotely or from our office in Kitchener-Waterloo, or a blend of both
- Four weeks paid time off
- Travel spending allowance (money to spend during your vacation)
- Benefits (Health, Dental, etc) through our company HSA
- Catered lunches every day and snacks at the office
- Laptop of your choice