Surface Equipment Operator - Northwest Territories
Mining ProjectsFull TimeYellowknife, NT
Procon Mining and Tunnelling (Procon) is one of the leading mine development contractors in North America. We are specialized in underground mine development, contract mining, underground excavations, civil tunneling and mining related construction projects. Centered by our people, our company culture is driven on the tenets of integrity, innovation, relationships and performance for our clients, business partners and the communities we work in. As a specialty contractor in a safety-sensitive business, our workforce safety is the foundation for everything we do.
Partnering with Indigenous communities is key to Procon’s continued success. We invest in indigenous partnership solutions that offer mutually beneficial outcomes through economic benefits and capacity building. Moving beyond compliance, we truly value the experience and knowledge brought to our Indigenous partnerships by community leaders and knowledge keepers.
We are looking for a motivated people who are committed to growing their professional career at Procon while gaining valuable knowledge and experience.
Based at our project in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, this will be a 2 week on / 2 week off rotation opportunity.
As a Surface Equipment Operator on our remote project in the Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, are responsible and accountable for the following:
- Safely operate the controls of heavy equipment, tractor-trailers, and tandem-axle straight trucks to minimize the risk of damage and injury.
- Use several types of heavy equipment including graders, wheel loaders, backhoes, skid steers, and telehandlers.
- Use heavy equipment according to operating practices to excavate and move sand, gravel, rock, and snow.
- Safely drive and maneuver heavy equipment around the mine
- May select, fit and remove attachments
- Monitor gauges, dials and other indicators to make sure the heavy equipment is working properly; report discrepancies to Supervisor
- Adjust controls to regulate pressure, control speed and flow of operation
- Perform a walk-around inspection before, during, and after every shift (includes set-up and inspection of equipment to ensure safe operation)
- Clean, maintain and secure equipment and secure loads.
- Complete logbooks and daily reports on delays, production and safety issues.
- Use two-way radio, visual, audio and light signals to communicate with other operators and ensure safety
- Previous experience in mining
- Technical training and a valid certificate for specific equipment
- Previous experience operating heavy equipment
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be prepared to adhere to all legislated regulations and company Health & Safety policies
- Must have a valid Class 1 driver’s license and good driving record
- Dependable and able to commit to a 2 week on / 2 week off rotation
- Positive attitude and enjoys being a proactive member of a high performing team
- Preference will be given to those who reside in the Northwest Territories
- Fully Vaccinated in accordance with legislated and client requirements
This position involves frequent air travel to and from the work site. Applicants must meet all legislated requirements for air travel to work at the remote site camp with a work schedule of 14 days on site, 14 days off site. For this safety sensitive position, you will be required to undergo a background check and be required to undergo a substance test and pre-employment testing.
We mine talent and nurture innovation. Our people truly are our strength. At Procon, whether in the field or the office, you’ll be part of a cohesive team and work alongside great people from diverse backgrounds: people who love their work and are inspired to provide solutions to our clients and exceed expectations.
If you share our values and would like to be considered for this meaningful career opportunity, please apply on our career site.
We thank all candidates who apply, however please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.