Human Resources Manager
Human ResourcesFull TimeSaskatoon, SK
Procon Mining and Tunnelling (Procon) is one of the leading mine development contractors in North America. We are specialized in underground mine development, contract mining, underground excavations, civil tunneling and mining related construction projects. Centered by our people, our company culture is driven on the tenets of integrity, innovation, relationships and performance for our clients, business partners and the communities we work in. As a specialty contractor in a safety-sensitive business, our workforce safety is the foundation for everything we do.
Partnering with Indigenous communities is key to Procon’s continued success. We invest in indigenous partnership solutions that offer mutually beneficial outcomes through economic benefits and capacity building. Moving beyond compliance, we truly value the experience and knowledge brought to our Indigenous partnerships by community leaders and knowledge keepers.
The HR Manager provides leadership and support for all HR functions to achieve Procon’s goals with and through its greatest asset – its people. Reporting to the Vice President, Human Resources, the HR Manager is expected to build an effective knowledge level of Procon’s business; this is to establish and align human capital plans to Procon’s operational and strategic objectives. Working with the skilled HR team, this role is hands-on and provides full cycle Human Resources support to our management leaders, employees, and union partners. If you are passionate about HR and its direct link to the business, read on as this may be the right role for you.
This position can be filled in Saskatoon, SK, Nisku, AB or Burnaby, BC.
Leading the HR Team, the HR Manager is an advocate of the HR function for Procon’s operations, ensuring alignment. As a true business partner to the management team, the HR Manager acts as a champion for the continuous improvement of all HR functions while supporting the company’s growth. Further, the HR Manager invests focused time with management, and works with our union business representatives, to create relationships that enable the fulfillment of Procon’s business objectives.
Beyond managing the HR Team, specific responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with the management team to ensure people related objectives are aligned and tied to the overall strategic and operational business objectives to deliver business results.
- Provide HR solutions to management, by understanding key financial, operational business metrics and by monitoring shifting trends to remain competitive within the industry.
- Be a partner to the business and model a coaching philosophy that drives a performance culture, aligned with Procon values and behaviours, throughout the business.
Employee Relations/Labour Relations:
- Participate in labour relations functions, including but not limited to grievance resolution, arbitrations, and the administration of collective bargaining agreements in partnership with management.
- Develop and maintain positive relations with union representatives to ensure sustainable business operations and results.
- Lead the Investigation and resolution of complex employee/labour relations issues and coach managers through performance management and employee related concerns.
- Drive the employee life-cycle process including recruitment, onboarding, learning and development, recognition and succession planning with the intention to develop a resilient talent culture.
- Working with the recruitment team, manage recruitment efforts locally to find key talent and build bench strength, including expanding our relationships with our Indigenous partners and Canadian universities to enhance Procon’s brand and recruitment efforts.
- Motivate and engage a team of HR direct reports to ensure alignment with the HR and business strategy.
HR Data Analytics & Management:
- Working with internal resources and partners, review the people related data to ensure it is aligning with the Company’s business objectives that includes, but is not limited to, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Understand the strength of the Company’s ERP to identify new opportunities for its use.
- Strong understanding of business metrics with the ability to align HR measurements to drive decisions
- Superior writing skills are required for this role
- Good communicator at all levels of organization including listening, writing and presenting
- Change agent with the ability to collaborate well with others
- Ability to influence and lead
- Strong conflict resolution and performance management skills
- Experience coaching managers and employees for effective skill building
- Proven success in supporting HR strategies, initiatives and projects from inception to implementation
- Demonstrated high level, time-sensitive work prioritization, accuracy, and organizational skills
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Labour Relations or related field required;
- 7-10 years of experience preferably in a mining and/or heavy construction environment supporting both union and non-union employees;
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint);
- Experience with SAP is an asset
We mine talent and nurture innovation. Our people truly are our strength. At Procon, whether in the field or the office, you’ll be part of a cohesive team and work alongside great people from diverse backgrounds: people who love their work and are inspired to provide solutions to our clients and exceed expectations.
If you share our values and would like to be considered for this meaningful career opportunity, please apply on our career site.
We thank all candidates who apply, however please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.