Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Red Seal) / Yellowknife, NT
Mining ProjectsFull TimeYellowknife, NT
Procon Mining and Tunnelling (Procon) is one of the leading mine development contractors in North America. We are specialized in underground mine development, contract mining, underground excavations, civil tunneling and mining related construction projects. Centered by our people, our company culture is driven on the tenets of integrity, innovation, relationships and performance for our clients, business partners and the communities we work in. As a specialty contractor in a safety-sensitive business, our workforce safety is the foundation for everything we do.
Partnering with Indigenous communities is key to Procon’s continued success. We invest in indigenous partnership solutions that offer mutually beneficial outcomes through economic benefits and capacity building. Moving beyond compliance, we truly value the experience and knowledge brought to our Indigenous partnerships by community leaders and knowledge keepers.
We are looking for a motivated person who is committed to growing their professional career at Procon while gaining valuable knowledge and experience.
Based at one of our projects in the Northwest Territories, this opportunity will be located at our Giant Mine in Yellowknife and is great opportunity for individuals interested in working Monday to Friday. The successful candidate will be a resident of the Yellowknife area and encourage candidates that self- identify as Indigenous to apply.
- Good comprehension when reading information and/or receiving verbal instructions as required to perform assigned duties in a safe and efficient manner
- Inspect equipment for proper performance and check equipment for defect faults and malfunctions
- Perform diagnostic testing to identify problems and determine the solution to solve the problem
- Test repaired equipment to ensure proper performance
- Clean and lubricate equipment
- Adjust equipment and repair or replace defective parts, components, or systems.
- Fill out statutory logbooks, as required
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Minimum 5 years Heavy Duty Mechanic experience
- Journeyperson level qualification (trade school or college diploma) – (preferred)
- Red Seal Certified
- Provincially regulated Common Core (required)
- Minimum 3 years underground mining experience
- Must be proficient in maintaining a fleet of UG trucks, LH drills, jumbo drills (M2C) and bolters, mobile shotcrete equipment, Normet utility vehicles, Manitou zoom booms and CAT utility equipment
- Must be familiar with concrete shaft forms, Galloways, buckets and cross heads, hoists and winches
- Ability to read, and understand Hydraulic/Electrical Schematics
- Ability to use and understand Engine/Powertrain Diagnostic Software (both handheld and computer based).
- Ability to use/understand parts and service manuals, able to make parts lists for repairs required and or use service manuals to assist in diagnostics, and proper repair procedures.
- Ability to Service/Diagnose Diesel Engines and all powertrain/brake components of many types and makes
- Familiar with underground Mobile equipment Braking regulations//testing and adjusting such components.
- Ability to work efficiently as part of a team as well as independently
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- First Aid Certificate is an asset
For this safety sensitive position, you will be required to undergo a background check and be required to undergo a substance test and pre-employment testing.
We mine talent and nurture innovation. Our people truly are our strength. At Procon, whether in the field or the office, you’ll be part of a cohesive team and work alongside great people from diverse backgrounds: people who love their work and are inspired to provide solutions to our clients and exceed expectations.
If you share our values and would like to be considered for this meaningful career opportunity, please apply on our career site.
We thank all candidates who apply, however please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.