Safety Supervisor - Yellowknife Northwest Territories
Health & SafetyFull TimeCanada
Procon Mining and Tunnelling (Procon) specializes in underground mine development, contract mining, underground excavations, civil tunneling and mining related construction projects. Since 1992, Procon has been building its reputation for its expertise in tackling and delivering challenging projects across Canada and select international locations.
As a specialty contractor in a safety-sensitive business, workforce safety is the foundation for everything we do. Centered by our people, our company culture is driven on the tenets of integrity, innovation, relationships and performance for our clients, business partners and the communities we work in.
We are looking to build a strong team who appreciates our industry leading approach to safety. This potential opportunity is for a motivated person who is committed to growing their career at Procon while gaining valuable knowledge and experience.
Based at one of our projects in the Northwest Territories, this opportunity will be located at our Giant Mine in Yellowknife and is great opportunity for individuals interested in working Monday to Friday.
Reporting to the ProconSAFE Corporate Safety Department, the Health and Safety Supervisor will perform their duties as a member of the project Safety and Training department and collaborate with other departments of the project.
- Support the project in efforts to provide a safe and accident free workplace;
- Provide on-going underground and emergency response training;
- Support the project equipment and task training programs;
- Develop coaching relationships with project leadership team focused on helping them define and achieve their safety culture and continuously improve their safety performance. This includes the provision of ongoing feedback to these leaders;
- Lead by demonstrating the required behaviors, attitudes, and mindset to further develop an already strong project safety culture;
- Facilitate and participate in the development and implementation of ProconSAFE’s safety program and objectives;
- Support as required for the return to work program as identified by ProconSAFE’s Corporate Safety Department;
- Compile and maintain records associated with the responsibilities of the position;
- Monitor site conditions and behaviors to identify risks and provide site leaders with input and recommendations to enhance safety performance;
- Conduct safety audits, employee task observations, formal and non-formal workplace inspections, and assist in the development of corrective action plans in consultation with project / department management;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of and adherence to all applicable legislation, standards, and guidelines, and influence the adoption of standards when applicable.
- Reside in the Northwest Territories;
- A minimum 5 years of experience as a Health and Safety Supervisor in an underground mining environment;
- Valid underground mine rescue certification and training is considered a definite asset;
- Professional certification is an asset;
- Ability to take initiative, to lead and motivate people;
- Ability to cooperate and deal tactfully with others;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including oral, verbal, and written communication skills;
- Excellent working knowledge of all Microsoft Office software especially Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Procon is committed to maximize employment and training opportunities for local community members. Procon will make reasonable efforts to hire, develop and retain local community members by providing training, mentoring and employment opportunities in connection with performance of our work. This includes apprenticing with local community members, where possible.
Mining is our passion: diversity is our strength.
Each day we come together bringing our diverse backgrounds, experiences, approaches and thoughts.
Collectively we draw on the unique contributions brought by different education, opinion, culture, ethnicity, race, gender, age, ability/disability, religion, language spoken and Indigenous ancestry.
We thank all candidates who apply, however please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.