Director of Marketing & Communications - Maternity Leave
Systems & CommunicationsContractorBritish Columbia
Overall Purpose: Power To Be inspires youth and families in need of support to discover their limitless abilities through nature-based programs. The Director of Marketing & Communications plays a critical role in leading Power To Be’s comprehensive marketing strategy. This individual will lead the development of written and visual content across all digital and print communications. In addition, the Director of Marketing & Communications will be the staff lead for one-time and ongoing marketing projects that are central to the work of the organization. This includes content development, design and production of the annual report, ensuring that the website pages are current, and maintaining the functionality of the website. This individual must deliver excellence in writing across all platforms and be an avid storyteller, developing compelling and effective messages about Power To Be’s mission and impact on the community it serves. This position is responsible for implementing policies, standards, procedures and ensuring quality control. The ideal candidate is a professional who is team-oriented, organized, has a strong attention to detail and the ability to work independently while being collaborative. This role will report to the Chief Operating Officer and oversee the Marketing and Communications team.
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
COMMUNICATIONS – The Director of Marketing & Communications will:
- Lead in driving a best-in-class internal and external marketing and communications strategy.
- Act as a mentor, advisor, resource, role model and team member to lead and motivate the communications team to produce exceptional work and provide quality services to the Power To Be community.
- Provide recommendations regarding workflow policies, procedures, and standards for the Marketing and Communications Department.
- Ensure the communications and marketing services and materials are of the highest professional quality, and consistent with Power To Be’s policy, brand standards and industry best practices.
- Oversee the production of the annual report, including content development and design.
- Lead external-facing print collateral (brochures, press kit, etc.) to support brand development and program promotion.
- Lead editorial calendar and ensure that communications initiatives are aligned with Marketing, Development, and Programming objectives.
- Lead, maintain and prepare press releases taking steps to increase Power To Be’s “traditional media” reach.
- Produce and oversee monthly blogs, newsletters and ongoing announcements and news releases for Power To Be activities, programs and reports.
- Interview participants, families, staff, volunteers and leading donors, funders and innovators for various communication platforms.
- Liaise with design consultants and vendors to develop collateral materials.
- Lead the development of communications and marketing materials for core programs and fundraising events.
- Complete all work in accordance to public relations codes of professional ethics, standards, and practices, privacy regulations and relevant law.
- Have strong communication skills, including client presentations and public speaking.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, project management and strategy development skills, with knowledge of data-driven communication and marketing planning principles and practices.
- Multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment.
- Maintain confidentiality.
MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP - The Director of Marketing & Communications will:
- Facilitate Director's meetings including operational meetings, quarterly planning, and annual planning.
- Support the COO in maintaining regular quarterly updates from all departments and write quarterly reports for the Board of Directors and C-Suite.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains, and motivates high performing personnel.
- Assume the responsibilities of the Chief Operating Officer when required.
- Recruit, supervise, develop and support marketing and communications to staff using Power To Be’s values, Employee Handbook, Employment Standards and other related policies or procedures as the framework.
- Direct, schedules and assign duties to staff and review work for accuracy and completeness.
- Ensure new employees receive onboarding, orientation and ongoing professional development.
- Communicate a clear vision and provide clear direction and priorities.
- Promote a positive and co-operative work environment.
- Establish individual involvement and ownership of objectives and holds team members accountable for their outcomes and actions.
- Provide regular constructive feedback as well as positive reinforcement of team member contributions.
- Develop and establish relevant annual and long-term objectives and establishes course of action; includes regular follow up on status of objectives, setting benchmarks and quarterly reporting.
- Create a sense of confidence and trust so that change is regarded as a contribution to social impact and implement ideas and approaches that are likely to add value.
- Make and implement decisions where necessary information is available, and the stakeholders share compatible objectives.
- Recognizes conflicting situations as they arise and determines appropriate responses.
- Takes ownership of decisions and ensures decisions are consistent with legislation, precedent and established policies and procedures.
- Acts in alignment with Power To Be’s desired culture and values to achieve organizational goals.
- Treats others fairly and acts in an honest, trustworthy and forthright manner.
- Translate the strategic direction, including vision, mission and values into effective strategies.
- Serve as a leader in making the necessary decisions that are needed and doesn’t delay in moving forward.
PEOPLE – The Director of Marketing & Communications will:
- Be team player with a ready sense of humour and capacity to work in close proximity to others.
- Be a support to co-workers, volunteers and stakeholders; assist co-workers with their responsibilities in their absence as required.
- Contribute to a positive and dynamic working culture congruent with Power To Be’s values.
- Adhere to all Power To Be policies and procedures and applicable legislation as they relate staff and volunteer practices.
FINANCE AND OPERATIONS – The Director of Marketing & Communications will:
- Direct staff, volunteer and practicum student training within organizational objectives in collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer and Director of People and Culture.
- Manage department budget spending and provide forecasting information to the Director of Finance to support the needs of Marketing and Communications department.
- Adhere to the Annual Operating and Capital Expenditure Budgets.
- Understand, implement and demonstrate proper fiscal controls.
- Submit all documentation including timesheets in a timely fashion.
- Support and safeguard workplace safety, wellness and security.
- Plan for potential problems or situations and develops appropriate contingency plans.
- Respectfully challenges status quo thinking and assumptions.
ADVANCEMENT – The Director of Marketing & Communications will:
- Act as a key member in the creation and execution of all Power To Be signature events.
- Act as one of the public representatives for Power To Be to a wide variety of stakeholders including community partners, donors and media.
- Advise the Chief Operating Officer on the unique marketing and communications needs of the community and stakeholders.
- Act in accordance with brand standards, the donor recognition policy, and privacy policies and legislation.
- Support community and fundraising events as directed.
- Attend and present at conferences, job/resource fairs and Power To Be functions as directed.
- Stay informed about trends and developments beyond the immediate community.
- Consistently take participants and donors into consideration when planning and when making decisions.
- Be an active and effective relationship builder and networker.
- Champion Power To Be and build support for its goals within relevant communities.
STRATEGY AND GOVERNANCE – The Director of Marketing & Communications will:
- Advise the Chief Operating Officer on strategic needs of Power To Be’s Marketing and Communications department.
- Participate in strategic planning for Power To Be.
- Recognize when it is time to shift strategic direction; anticipates changes and helps the organization adapt to change.
- Maintain an awareness of strategy, vision and changes within the organization.
- Participate in regular management meetings.
- Contribute to the development, monitoring and achievement of the annual plans and associated goals in support of the strategic plan and vision of Power To Be.
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer and action the development of operational policies and procedures.
PROGRAMS – The Director of Marketing & Communications will:
- Adhere to Participant Protection Policies and Procedures.
- At a minimum, support or observe a Power To Be program once per quarter.
Particular Working Conditions: In consideration of the mission we serve, it is preferred that the Director of Marketing & Communications enjoys an active lifestyle. The position involves significant time spent at a computer/desk, occasional travel, and evening and weekend commitments. Working outside in inclement weather is required at times. At this time, this role is working primarily from home. Subject to change as the COVID landscape shifts.
- 5+ years demonstrated work experience, and post-secondary education in communications, marketing, management or related fields and/or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years demonstrated experience managing a team, including supervising, recruitment, selection, training and performance management.
- Advanced knowledge of branding, marketing, communications, and public relations principles, strategies, techniques, and concepts.
- Advanced knowledge of marketing communications project management principals and tools, including briefs, work backs, and take to market plans.
- Proven track record with cross departmental projects and complex decision making.
- Able to press when information isn't clear, can be direct when needed to move something forward.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision to accomplish high-profile tasks and to meet multiple and concurrent deadlines.
- Clear, engaging and effective written and oral communications skills, and a working knowledge of traditional and social media are essential.
- Must have experience or proven interest working with a non-profit organization.
- Proven record of successfully managing projects to completion and coaching others.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License with a clean driver’s abstract
- Familiarity with design processes an asset.
- Intermediate knowledge in the use of office applications such as MS Office Suite.
- Familiarity with design and content management software tools (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite) an asset.
- Experience with email marketing services and CRM systems
- Established network within both traditional and social media industry, locally, nationally and internationally.
As per the Ministry of Justice requirements, job offers are contingent on submitting to a criminal record
Terms of Employment
Location: Victoria (Office & Working From Home)
Position: Interim Director of Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Term: 16-Month Maternity Leave Contract
Hours: Full-time 40 hours per week
Compensation: commensurate based on experience
Review of applications will begin immediately and interested candidates are encouraged to promptly submit their full applications including a cover letter. This posting will remain open until filled.
While we appreciate the time it takes to submit an application, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.