Fullstack PHP Developer Internship
Software DevelopmentInternMontreal, QC
Who we are:
PlanetRate Inc. is a new start-up based on a revolutionary and transformative platform for ratings and reviews. It allows people to provide feedback on specific topics and helps businesses to understand their customers. The platform is currently translated in French, English and Romanian languages and is a portal to more than 2.7 million cities and over 250 countries.
PlanetRate is currently looking to add a talented Back-End Developer to our IT team. You will have the opportunity to work on new projects that will have a direct, tangible, and visible impact on operations, logistics and improving the customer experience. If you’re tired to be just a cog in a big machine, this is the perfect job for you! There are no clients to please, our only goal is to make PlanetRate the best it can be.
This is a non-paying internship initially with the expectation that it will evolve into a full time, paying position with a generous equity award component (which will be very valuable, eventually as we see this company being very successful either as a standalone or a valuable acquisition target by a large company, more established company in one of the several markets this platform will aggressively compete and grab significant market share from). Our philosophy is that we are all motivated more if we enjoy what we do — which is why hours are flexible and may involve working remotely during the internship — and personally share in the company’s success.
This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to get in at the ground floor and join a fast-growing startup. If this sounds challenging, exciting and fun, we want to talk to you.
- Likes to devour code and write maintainable code
- Loves to read it and has been known to spend a weekend getting lost in a new project
- Some knowledge of Front end development won’t hurt either.
- Eager to apply their knowledge to enhance the project.
- Experience building web apps on a team but are also comfortable working independently
- Creative, resourceful and open minded
- Passion to succeed
- Treat others how they want to be treated
- Add energy to every conversation
- Find obsolete things on your task list and remove them
- Offer to help co-workers before they ask
- Leave things more organized than you found them
- Invent a moment of silliness
- Highlight good work from your peers
- Find other great employees to join the team
- Cut costs
- Help invent a new product or service that people really want
- Get smarter at your job through training or books
- Encourage curiosity
- Surface and highlight difficult decisions
- Figure out what didn't work
- Organize the bookshelf
- Start a club
- Tell a joke at no one's expense
- Smile a lot
- The perfect candidate devours code, loves to read it and has been known to spend a weekend getting lost in a new project. You can tell us why static methods aren’t necessarily a bad thing and how to best test things. You can explain what O(n log n) means. You are creative, resourceful and open minded.
- Proven experience with Object Oriented PHP design and commercial web application development (not scripting)
- Experience with Web Service APIs (SOAP/REST)
- Create and improve features in existing system
- Implement bug fixes.
- Work with other team members to integrate components
- Have sound knowledge in MVC Frameworks, Database Structures
- Solid understanding of modern PHP and OOP principles
- Intermediate skills in CakePHP or any other modern framework for PHP application development
- Understanding of Cross Browsers compatibility
- Proven experience with SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.) and performant database design
- Experience with at least one NoSQL Database (MongoDB) is a plus.
- Develop and support SOAP and REST APIs
- Hands-on experience with Linux command line
- Comfortable to use source version control system, preferably SVN
- Experience in writing functional specifications.
- Have detail-oriented and strong problem-solving skills
- PHP and MySQL: 2 years
- Building Web Applications: 2 years
- Building APIs: 1 year