Associate Art Director (6 months contract with high probability of extension)
ArtContractorGreater Vancouver, BC
OVERALL OBJECTIVE AND PURPOSE:
The Associate Art Director will support the Art Director on the artistic direction through managing the Art team and collaborating with the Design team.
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH PGI:
- Flexible Schedules & Remote Working Arrangements
- People-focused Events & Initiatives
- Competitive Compensation
- Partner with the Art Director, team supervisors, and producers to manage individuals across the entire art department.
- Work closely with the Art Director to create visual targets and maintain the look & feel to help develop the artistic vision, and maintain the visual integrity throughout the entire project, ensuring consistency and quality.
- Drive collaboration within the Art team across feature groups and cross-disciplines to ensure Art, Narrative, Design and Engineering support each other, building confidence both within the team and with partners through effective and inspiring communication.
- Create and maintain key artistic documentation for local & external teams and contribute to the development of concept art & reference materials; ensuring artists have clear benchmarks & references for asset production.
- Regularly provide & receive feedback, share suggestions, set benchmarks, and find balance between artistic license & technical limitations.
- Collaborate with Producers & Project Managers to maintain scheduling and discuss project concerns
- Create storyboards, direct & compose cinematics as well as various media related art when necessary.
- Conduct performance reviews for direct reports and participate in interviews for potential new hires.
- Regularly inform the Art Director of project progression to ensure the accurate assessment of deliverables.
- Perform other ad-hoc responsibilities as required.
- 8+ years of experience in a similar capacity with at least three AAA credited titles for PC and Console.
- Experience managing a wide range of personnel issues including career development and conflict resolution, and a demonstrated ability to lead and mentor direct reports on the team.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, or a combination of education and relevant experience
- Advanced understanding of character, prop, environment, and animation creation; and can demonstrate/direct how these visuals serve the gameplay, narrative, and design of the project.
- A good understanding and/or knowledge of game development software and techniques (ex. Photoshop, 3dsMax, Substance suite, etc.).
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Strong foundational art skills and an excellent understanding of shape & form, motion & timing, composition, and colour theory.
- An eye for craftsmanship and an ability to get the best work out of other artists
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both verbally and written.
- A vast knowledge of, and enthusiasm for the DC universe.
- A solid understanding of art fundamentals (lighting, composition, architecture, anatomy, proportion, etc.), artistic culture (photography, movies, books, comics, etc.) & video game culture.
- Experience art directing First Person Shooter (FPS) multiplayer games and Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) games.
- Experience working within Agile and Waterfall Game Development methodologies.
- Experience with Jira and Perforce.
Want to know more? Submit your application and let us tell you about working at Piranha and why we love it!
Founded in 2000, Piranha Games is an action gaming studio with unparalleled experience developing licensed products for big-name franchises, including AAA licensed titles such as; Need for Speed: Undercover and Duke Nukem Forever. Best known for the Free-to-Play game title MechWarrior Online, PGI is as committed as ever to creating world-class action-based games, having most recently released MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries. Piranha Games is part of the Enad Global 7 group. For more information, please visit www.piranhagames.com
Piranha Games is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for all employees. Formal education is not always required. All team members are hand-picked because they are skilled in their individual fields, immensely creative and hard workers. We hire avid gamers and mold them to the standards we believe make amazing products.
Should you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com
We thank you for your interest in this position. Due to the number of applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.