Principal Technical Artist
ArtFull TimeGreater Vancouver, BC
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH PGI:
- Flexible Schedules & Remote Working Arrangements
- People-focused Events & Initiatives
- Comprehensive Benefits
- Competitive Compensation
- Oversees the Technical Art Team, assigns personnel to projects & directs their activities, and evaluates their work & performance.
- Participates in the recruitment of department staff and provides input into hiring decisions.
- Works closely with the Art Director and Engineering/Technical Director in developing innovative solutions and incorporating new technology, while keeping the visual quality intact from technical constraints.
- Identifies and defines workflows, streamlines processes and develops tools/frameworks for CG characters, environments, animation and VFX.
- Understands advantages and limitations of technology, and develops strategies for maximizing performance.
- Optimizes levels to meet specifications such as memory and performance gains.
- Develops content creation guidelines, documentation, and tutorials for technical processes, tools & production pipelines for future references.
- Actively accepts and provides feedback on the technical aspects to the Art team, and the Production team at large.
- Communicates risks and obstacles on pipeline matters to the Art Director and Project Manager and proactively works towards solutions for them.
- Ensures technical specifications are adhered to by the art team.
- Keeps up with the latest industry trends by investigate new techniques, implementing them and training the team.
- Spearheads developing a smooth pipeline to get assets from outsourcing partners integrated into the game engine.
- Perform other ad-hoc responsibilities as requested.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in game development serving in a Technical Artist role with at least 2 shipped AAA titles on consoles and/or PC. Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Experienced with creating assets within art pipelines including rigging, scripting, shader development, lighting, and visual effects.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities at once.
- Contribute to setting priorities within a game feature.
- Demonstrates dedication, adaptability and accountability in own work.
- Collaborates effectively with others within the same discipline and across disciplines.
- Proven problem-solving skills, along with the ability to create rapid prototypes resulting creative production solutions.
- Deep understanding of the technical requirements of real-time content development.
- Strong knowledge of Unreal Engine.
- Knowledge of physical based rendering techniques (texture creation, lighting, and shaders).
- Knowledgeable of game production methodologies.
- Strong ability to streamline workflow practices, debug and optimize content.
- Comprehensive knowledge of 3ds Max.
- Demonstrated initiative and relentless motivation to tackle complex technical challenges.
- A solid grasp of traditional and digital art styles and techniques.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development environment.
- Experience working with Unreal’s engine code is a plus.
Want to know more? Submit your application and let us tell you about working at Piranha and why we love it!
Founded in 2000, Piranha Games is an action gaming studio with unparalleled experience developing licensed products for big-name franchises, including AAA licensed titles such as; Need for Speed: Undercover and Duke Nukem Forever. Best known for the Free-to-Play game title MechWarrior Online, PGI is as committed as ever to creating world-class action-based games, having most recently released MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries. Piranha Games is part of the Enad Global 7 group. For more information please visit www.piranhagames.com
Piranha Games is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for all employees. Formal education is not always required. All team members are hand-picked because they are skilled in their individual fields, immensely creative and hard workers. We hire avid gamers and mold them to the standards we believe make amazing products.
Should you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank you for your interest in this position. Due to the amount of applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.