Technical Artist II
Piranha Games Inc. is taking the current COVID-19 situation very seriously. As circumstances continue to change in the province of BC, we continue to provide remote working options to our employees. We are currently hiring remote staff to join our team, however these positions will eventually work in our Vancouver office, once we make the decision to fully re-open. We will remain flexible for as long as is necessary to keep our employees and our community safe.
OVERALL OBJECTIVE AND PURPOSE
Under the guidance of Principal Technical Artist, provide technical support to the Art team by developing innovative tools, techniques, and process which help the art team create highest quality art for the project.
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH PGI:
· Flexible Schedules
· Social Events
· Comprehensive Benefits
· Competitive Compensation
· Work closely with the Art Director and Engineering/Technical Director in developing innovative solutions and incorporating new technology while keeping the visual quality intact from technical constraints
· Help identify and define workflows, streamline processes and develop tools for environmental destruction and dynamics
· Understand advantages and limitations of technology, and develop strategies for maximizing performance
· Optimize levels to meet specifications such as memory and performance gains
· Develop content creation guidelines, documentations, and tutorials for technical process, tools and production pipelines for future references
· Actively accept and provide feedback on the technical aspects to the Art team, and the Production team at large
· Contribute to setting priorities within a game feature
· Communicate risks and obstacles on pipeline matters to the Art Director and Project Manager and proactively working towards solutions for them
· Ensure technical specifications are adhered to by the art team
· Keep up with the latest industry trends by investigate new techniques, implementing them and training the team
· Be a positive and creative force in the team
· Contribute to developing a smooth pipeline to get assets from outsourcing partners integrated into the game engine
· Perform other ad-hoc responsibilities as requested
· Minimum 3 – 5 years of experience in game development serving in a Technical Artist role with at least 2 shipped AAA titles on consoles and/or PC
· Experienced with creating assets within art pipelines including scripting, lighting, and visual effects
· Knowledge of physical based rendering techniques (texture creation, lighting, and shaders)
· Deep understanding of the technical requirements of real-time content development and game production methodologies
· Able to tackle complex technical challenges
· Strong ability to streamline workflow practices, debug and optimize content
· Strong knowledge of Unreal 4
· Experience with Visual Effects in Unreal 4
· Comprehensive knowledge of Houdini
· Proficient with coding and scripting languages such as Python, C++ and Blueprints
· Ability to manage multiple priorities at once and collaborate effectively with others within same discipline across disciplines
· Proven problem-solving skills, along with the ability to create rapid prototypes resulting creative production solutions
· A solid grasp of traditional and digital art styles and techniques
· Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development environment
Why work for us?
At Piranha Games, you are not just an individual — you are part of the family. Our team is a key component to our success and there is a genuine sense of support, collaboration and respect toward each other. We are proud of who we are and of our products.
We like to show you we care! Our benefits package includes 100% company paid Extended Health and Dental coverage, Transit Passes or Parking, Training Reimbursement, a fully stocked kitchen with snacks and beverages, social events, Game Hour and our favorite: Beer Fridays! And that’s not all…
Want to know more? Submit your application and let us tell you about working at Piranha and why we love it!
Founded in 2000, Piranha Games is an action gaming studio with unparalleled experience developing licensed products for big-name franchises, including AAA licensed titles such as; Need for Speed: Undercover and Duke Nukem Forever. Best known for the Free-to-Play game title MechWarrior Online, PGI is as committed as ever to creating world-class action-based games, having most recently released MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries. For more information please visit www.piranhagames.com
Piranha Games is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for all employees. Should you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
We thank you for your interest in this position. Due to the amount of applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.