EngineeringFull TimeToronto, ON
NordSpace (https://nordspace.com) is a Canadian startup with the mission to advance life on Earth, from space. NordSpace is committed to extremely rapid innovation and development of only the most ambitious aerospace projects with only the most ambitious team Canada has to offer. With divisions of rocket propulsion, autonomous robotics, satellite integration, and stratospheric balloons, NordSpace is driven to do everything it takes to bring space closer to Earth and inspire generations of space explorers.
The Satellite Engineer at NordSpace will be one of the founding members of the satellite integration and operations team. Initially designing and testing a turnkey small-sat platform to integrate common payloads and operate them from the ground, with the long-term goal to move NordSpace into full satellite development including manufacturing sub-systems in-house, building larger satellite platforms, and ultimately launching satellites from NordSpace’s own launch vehicle later this decade. Early work will include taking commercial and academic payloads from customers around the world, integrating them into small satellites (mainly 1U to 3U CubeSats) using primarily COTS components, testing the full configuration, launching the satellite on rideshare missions, and operating them from the ground.
You will build the foundations for this division of NordSpace in your first year and also participate in the recruitment of additional engineers, as well as the business development around acquiring payloads. This role requires someone with vision, leadership, and a relentless work ethic that goes far beyond the norm.
• 3+ years of design and AIT (assembly, integration, and testing) experience with small satellite systems
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering or related field, Master’s or Ph.D. greatly preferred
• Significant hands-on engineering experience with mechanical and electrical systems and sub-system integration
• Familiarity with each of the following: astrodynamics, GNC, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, communications systems, thermal engineering, embedded software
• Significant knowledge of and deep passion for the space industry at large
• Experience with various technical analysis tools such as MATLAB and STK
• Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to conduct independent research
• Excellent English communication skills
• Excellent project management skills
This is a full-time in-person role at our head office in Markham