VICE PRESIDENT, TEST RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Test OperationsFull TimeVancouver , BC
Job Posting Date: April 1, 2019
Company Operating Name: Paragon Testing Enterprises Inc.
Business Address: 110 - 2925 Virtual Way, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V5M 4X5
Location of Work: Head Office at Broadway Tech Centre - Vancouver, British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Position Title: Vice President, Test Research and Development
Terms of Employment: Full-time, Permanent
Wage Range: $150,000.00 - $190,000.00 per annum (commensurate with experience and qualifications)
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week; may be required to travel and work extended hours
Benefits: Extended health, dental, life insurance, matching RRSP/DPSP, professional development
Reports to: President and CEO
Paragon Testing Enterprises Inc. is a subsidiary of The University of British Columbia that specializes in English language proficiency testing.
The Vice President, Test Research and Development (“VP Test R&D”) will lead Paragon’s efforts to design world class tests for language assessment and for other areas selected by Paragon, as well as its efforts to conduct test research and product and test delivery innovation for all tests created, acquired, or delivered by Paragon. The incumbent will also lead the company’s efforts to design methods and procedures for test delivery, developing test content, form assembly, equating test scores, and test scoring and rating.
The VP Test R&D reports to the President and CEO and is a member of the company’s Executive Committee.
The VP Test R&D will be the most senior member of Paragon’s Test Research and Development division which is responsible for the Test Research, Product Development, and Innovation division. As described below, the VP Test R&D will also work in close cooperation with the VP Operations to jointly lead the Test Operations division’s efforts that will be focused on the operational aspects of test delivery.
The VP Test R&D will lead the first division’s efforts in the areas of responsibility as described below regarding Product and Test Delivery Innovation, Test Development and Acquisition, and Test Research.
Product and Test Delivery Innovation
- Exploring ways to improve the company’s existing tests and test-related products, tests that are under development, or variations of tests for new purposes, end-users, or markets; and
- Exploring ways in cooperation with the Technology Division to deliver Paragon’s existing or new tests and test-related products in innovative ways such as diagnostic testing, shorter rating times, more frequent testing, better presentation and test taker experience, low-stakes formats, social media formats, internet-based formats, etc.
Test Development and Acquisition
- Selection of new areas to explore for test development, test acquisition, or feasibility studies to explore new markets for existing tests or new tests for existing clients;
- Creation of new tests for language assessment or other areas deemed suitable for development; and
- Development of test blueprints, frameworks for developing test content, scoring and rating methods, etc. for new tests.
- Planning and carrying out of systematic and timely research on the company’s existing tests to ensure that test scores are adhering to all testing industry standards including relevance, reliability, and validity;
- Defining and working with corporate and legal services for appropriate intellectual property protection based on developmental work and research activities.
- Disseminating test research results to all interested end-users of the company’s tests including publishing summaries of test research results in publicly available locations subject to maintaining confidentiality for competitive reasons as required;
- Ensuring that all of Paragon tests adhere to the professional standards in language testing and assessment as well as in any other areas of testing carried out by the company;
- Participating directly, and encouraging other Test Research and Development staff to participate in conducting test research discussed and/or published in public forums that advances the state of knowledge of Paragon’s tests;
- Participating directly and encouraging other Test Research and Development staff to participate in conducting test research discussed and/or published in public forums that advances the state of knowledge of Paragon’s staff and its tests.
The VP Test R&D will work in close cooperation with the VP Operations to jointly lead the Test Operations division’s efforts that will be focused on the operational aspects of test delivery. More specifically, the Test Operations division will have its primary report to the VP Operations. This primary reporting relationship will facilitate clear communication and control between the Test Operations division and the VP Operations regarding the week-to-week development of test content, form assembly, equating of test scores, and test scoring and rating and the wider topics of item bank management and test scheduling.
The Test Operations Division will have a secondary report to the VP Test R&D regarding the following area of responsibility:
Design of Methods and Procedures for Test Delivery
This secondary reporting relationship will facilitate clear communication and control between the Test Operations division and the VP Test R&D regarding the periodic consultation that may at times be required for developing test content, form assembly, equating test scores, and test scoring and rating.
This separation of responsibilities and reporting relationships between two vice presidents has been determined to facilitate timely decisions and implementation of test delivery that are imperative to the company’s success. Moreover, the primary report to the VP Operations reflects the primacy of the Test Operations division to its week-to-week role in operational test delivery rather than to its occasional consultations on broader design and analysis issues.
Planning and Budgeting
The VP Test R&D will be responsible for planning, budgeting, and making operational and financial projections on behalf of the Test Research, Product Development, and Innovation division. The VP Test R&D will be jointly responsible with the VP Operations for planning, budgeting, and making operational and financial projections on behalf of the Test Operations division. The VP Test R&D will work closely with the other members of the Executive Committee to prepare the annual budget and future financial projections for the Board of Directors.
The VP Test R&D will lead and contribute to special projects as required both as a member of the Executive Committee and as leader of the Test Research, Product Development, and Innovation division. These projects include periodic reports or proposals to and requests for information or analysis from the end-users of Paragon’s tests such as Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada and national educational organizations such as Universities Canada and Colleges and Institutes Canada. They also include projects that require investigation as proposed by the Executive Committee or from within the Test Research and Development division. In this leadership role, the VP Test R&D is expected to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously including their respective timelines and resources as required.
Spokesperson for Paragon’s Tests in Corporate Communications
The VP Test R&D is a pivotal spokesperson for Paragon’s tests as part of the company’s communications and relations with regulators, test takers, end users, professional associations, educational associations, and testing researchers. The VP Test R&D will be engaged with Paragon’s many stakeholders proactively enhancing the company’s reputation both within the testing industry and within scholarly circles. This engagement will occur through participation in conferences, publication of reports and articles on Paragon’s tests and their contribution to the testing industry, and advocacy of quality scholarship, research, and innovation within a practical, operational, and commercial context.
- Qualified candidates will have attained a Doctorate Degree from an accredited post-secondary institution in assessment, psychometrics, or a closely related field. Knowledge of and experience in language assessment will be considered an asset.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of 10 years of work and management experience providing leadership in the fields of test development, assessment, test research, and product innovation;
- Experience in leading and motivating staff to achieve organizational goals;
- Proven track record of academic scholarship and publication in the fields of test development, assessment, test research, or product innovation;
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion, confidentiality, and to provide and respond to critical feedback;
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and as a member of team;
- Ability to mobilize organizational resources in order to achieve objectives;
- Ability to work with, mentor, and motivate junior employees;
- Experience managing budgets, evaluating performance, and reporting up and to Executive and Board levels
- Possess Canadian citizenship, Canadian permanent residence, or have a valid work permit in Canada. Applicants who do not have one of these statuses will only be considered in the case of exceptionally qualified candidates.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should send their applications to either the email address or the mailing address below.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org - Mention "VP Test R&D" in the subject line.
110-2925 Virtual Way (Box 17)
Broadway Tech Centre
Vancouver, BC, Canada V5M 4X5
The application should be accompanied by the following information:
- A statement of interest that explains why the applicant is interested in the position and feels qualified and suitable for the position.
- An up-to-date resume/curriculum vitae that summarizes the candidate’s academic and professional qualifications and credentials for the position and all relevant work experience, publications, and research projects. Candidates are asked to include the starting and ending dates for all academic degrees, credentials, and employment periods.
- At least three references and their contact information who Paragon may contact should it wish to learn more about your past academic or work history. References will only be contacted after the candidate has given permission to do so.
Interviewing candidates for this position will begin as soon as suitable applications are received. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
By applying to this posting, you consent to the collection, use, and necessary disclosure of your personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Paragon respects the privacy of all applicants and confidentiality of personal information.
Competition Closing Date: Until position is filled.