ProductionFull TimeBrampton, ON
Imagine a place that empowers the entrepreneurial spirit. A place on the cutting edge of an exciting new industry loaded with opportunity. A place with a vison that is powerful yet simple, ‘to do good’. Northern Green Canada is that place. Founded on a belief in creating a work environment that nurtures creativity and collaboration, we strive to empower our people to create something special. If you are a self-starter, a problem solver, someone seeking a unique challenge to help others, then we may be the right place for you.
The Northern Green Canada Team has built a highly controlled, pesticide-free, state-of-the-art hydroponic facility, where our expert grow team cultivates cannabis strains that are industry leading in quality and consistency. Every role at Northern Green Canada contributes directly to the goal of helping patients with access to quality cannabis products.
Northern Green Canada is searching for a new Team Member to join us in the role of Head Grower. Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the Head Grower will be responsible for the overall leadership of the cannabis production area including management of staff with output accountabilities.
Role and Responsibilities
- Manage all cultivation activities;
- Lead, coach and mentor direct reports;
- Manage production, process and distribution of cannabis under the Cannabis Act guidelines;
- Develop and implement compliant production plans and create and maintain standard operating procedures in collaboration with the Quality Assurance team;
- Utilize working knowledge on facility irrigation system;
- Ensure overall flow and scheduling of all cultivation rooms and optimal asset utilization. Establish manpower requirements to meet schedules. Propose and lead corrective actions should issues arise;
- Ensure the cultivation areas and adjacent plant are maintained in a clean, organized and safe manner;
- Perform all tasks; cloning, transplanting, feeding schedules, defoliation, topping, flushing, preventative sprays, waste disposal and inventory management;
- Develop and maintain facility protocols and nutrient program;
- Manage planting schedule and organization to precisely project all grow rooms on a daily, weekly and monthly basis to keep facility healthy and control expense;
- Coordinate with Maintenance Team on preventive maintenance schedule to avoid down time. Ensure tight conformity with set points and respond rapidly to issues;
- Work closely with Subject Matter Experts to relentlessly improve quality and yield;
- Assist with the recruitment of new staff in the production area;
- Ensure personnel development and performance management planning for all direct and indirect reports, including ongoing proficiency training and smooth onboarding of new employees;
- Communicate effectively with other department managers, supervisors and employees to ensure timely resolution of problems and accomplishments of cultivation department and company objectives;
- Maintain and promote a positive work environment through collaborative discussions, team communications, rigorous root cause analysis and transparent decision making;
- Manage safe work conditions and practices within the cultivation area. Enforce company Safety, Health and Environmental policies;
- Identify and manage cost improvements and lead the development and execution of cost improvement and productivity ideas within the cultivation area. Supports new or improved product trials;
- Familiarity with Seed to Sale software (e.g. Ample) that aids in cataloging and analyzing individual cultivars from clone through harvest;
- Complete safety inspections on the production area as well as being involved in incident investigation and inspection programs.
- Other duties as required.
- 5 years’ experience in cannabis cultivation (preferred)
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Experience in hydroponic and soil-based horticulture
- Direct experience with automated irrigation systems
- An undergrad degree, preferably in horticulture or equivalent, 5 years’ experience in commercial agriculture or horticulture
- Comprehensive understanding of lighting requirements i.e. LED’s/ HID’s/Natural
- Practical experience/knowledge of an integrated pest management program
- Strong inventory and production management skills
- Ability to successfully clear Health Canada’s Security background check
- Strong leadership and conflict resolution skills
- Good work ethic and positive team attitude
- Physical aptitude and health necessary to perform manual labor tasks required
Northern Green Canada is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and we are committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation in order to apply for an opportunity, please contact us directly through our website careers page.
No agencies at this time please.
No phone calls please.