Junior Accountant - Open to Remote (Vancouver/Canada-wide)
FinanceFull TimeVancouver, BC
~ “Never permit a dichotomy to rule your life, a dichotomy in which you hate what you do so you can have pleasure in your spare time. Look for a situation in which your work will give you as much happiness as your spare time.” - Pablo Picasso ~
DO YOU LOVE TO?
- Get sh*t done
- Set and achieve goals
- Have a massive impact on a young, fast-growing company
- Thrive off of being busy and managing many tasks/details
- Get deep satisfaction out of being productive and making a huge contribution
- Experience hyper-growth and the opportunity to learn & grow
- Be part of a young & energetic team
- Live a healthy, active lifestyle
- Work under pressure
- Be detailed and organized
- Take initiative
- Have freedom
If you’re yelling at your computer screen, “That’s ME!” — keep reading...
DO YOU HAVE?
PASSION - One of our company’s most important rules: We only work with people who are passionate about what they do. You must LOVE being busy and using your natural talents to get things done as well as have a strong passion for living a healthy lifestyle.
HUMOUR - Setting a new standard of honesty & transparency in the health supplement industry takes a lot of effort, and we like to have a lot of fun along the way. If you’re going to fit in at The Nest (that’s what we call our headquarters ;)), you must possess a great sense of humour and love to laugh!
HUNGER - Not just for the complimentary fresh fruit and celebratory lunches at The Nest, but the deep hunger to learn and grow. We’re looking for a sharp mind we can invest in and continue to grow and let flourish. A positive attitude and a continuous learning/improvement mindset is a must.
HEART - The science is in; the greatest fulfillment we get out of life is when we’ve stretched our limits to achieve something difficult and worthwhile. Athletes call this having “heart” - which means being relentless, doing whatever it takes, and never giving up. It’s embracing the discomfort and challenge that is inevitable when striving towards big goals. (Yes, we also partake in Spartan Races and Polar Plunges.)
We’re a young and ambitious health supplement company based in Vancouver, BC on a mission to set a new standard of honesty and transparency in the industry.
We hire smart, capable, highly adaptable people who have a strong drive and a growth mindset (some of your favourite authors are Carol Dweck, Simon Sinek, Dan Pink, Jim Collins...). And while everyone on our team is an “A-player,” our culture is very collaborative, friendly and flexible.
Our company isn’t just about wellness, it’s built around wellness. That doesn’t just mean that we offer unlimited vacation time, flexible working hours, daily meditation time and healthy snacks. We also want you to enjoy doing what you do best and we give you the autonomy and support to do it in a way that works for everyone - our customers, the company and you.
The traditional 9-to-5 job is so last century. We’re doing things differently here.
OUR CORE VALUES
HONESTY & TRANSPARENCY - Over communicate, tell the truth, be transparent, give mindful feedback.
TEAMWORK - The sum is greater than its parts. Teams that work together, win together.
FREEDOM & BALANCE - You deserve to have freedom, autonomy, and a satisfying work/life balance.
POSITIVE VIBES - Focusing on the positive is always better than criticizing the negative.
PASSION & CARE - Care about yourself, your health, those around you, and let your passions shine through.
HARD WORK - Creating change and having global impact can’t happen without energy, focus, and massive action.
GROWTH - Have the courage to grow both personally and professionally to become your best self.
YOUR ROLE ON THE TEAM
We are looking for a rockstar Junior Accountant to join our Finance team! Under the mentorship and guidance of the Financial Controller, you will support and be responsible for a wide range of accounting activities including but not limited to payroll and benefits, month end reporting, sales tax compliance, revenue and inventory accounting, journal entries, general ledger reconciliation, and financial reporting. The Junior Accountant ensures the team follows best practices according to ASPE accounting standards and continually improving processes and procedures.
We strive for an ever-evolving company culture and team where we learn, grow and have fun with everyone we work with. Are you a self starter who is ready to roll their sleeves up and join our journey? If you feel the role description and culture are a perfect fit for you, we look forward to hearing from you!
General Ledger Reconciliations and Maintenance
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts with supporting schedules
- Perform bank reconciliations and analyse cash balances
- Maintain fixed asset register
- Parent company administrative accounting
- Provide support to Accounting Clerk with accounts payable and bank reconciliations
Month End Process
- Perform month end close procedures
- Assist with management of the month end schedule
- Financial statement preparation
- Segmented revenue accounting and margin analysis across Amazon, website and wholesale channels
- Accounts receivable
- Reconcile inventory valuation and cost of goods sold
- Perform product cost allocations
- Ensure existing procedures and controls are adequate
- Partner with Supply Chain to investigate transactional issues
- Inventory count analysis
Payroll and Compliance
- Manage bi-monthly payroll outsourced to ADP
- Reconcile and record payroll accounting entries, and related insurance and benefits
- Payroll tax remittances and reporting
- Demonstrates high energy with the ability to remain flexible and change priorities in a challenging and fast-paced environment
- Detail oriented and excellent time management skills
- A self starter with proven self-organization
- A keen eye for detail and focus on quality
- Enthusiastic to take on a variety of challenges and opportunities
- Strong sense of personal accountability to your responsibiilities and your own personal career goals
- At least a diploma in accounting or financial management, working towards CPA is preferred
- Familiarity with accounting software such as QuickBooks Online and any inventory system
- Experience working within Netsuite or other ERP is considered an asset
- Sales tax reporting experience (GST, US Sales Tax, VAT)
- Payroll processing and reporting experience