EditorialFull TimeToronto, ON
Who We Are:
Narcity.com is a digital-only news & travel site that reaches over 20M people monthly. We are a group of passionate and creative individuals who are devoted to creating the best local content for our readers.
We are on a mission to help our readers discover everything that’s new, now, and next where they live — because it’s the most interesting place in the world.
What We’re Looking For:
Narcity.com is looking for a motivated and experienced Toronto Editor to join our rapidly expanding editorial team. The editor will play a pivotal role in our daily news operation and lead our Toronto and Ontario coverage.
We are seeking a storyteller who loves Toronto and wants to be the best source of information for their community, whether it’s breaking down new legislation, spotlighting extraordinary local characters, or spreading the word about urgent public health issues that everyone should know about.
The right person should have a strong network of sources and have a knack for finding unique angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working with young and enthusiastic writers.
The Toronto Editor would manage our Toronto Desk, composed of two editors and five writers, and would direct coverage of everything from politics to real estate to restaurants — whatever is trending in the Toronto area.
You Will Make An Impact By:
- Breaking news, leading original investigations, and spearheading exclusive interviews
- Researching, assigning, editing, and occasionally writing Toronto articles
- Leading the Toronto Desk in the creation of timely, daily content on a wide variety of topics from Real Estate to Eat & Drink to News & Politics
- Publishing 15-20 news stories per day (350 words) across the team
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate
- Working with other Editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial news content
- Representing Narcity at public events and being an ambassador for our brand
Our Ideal Candidate:
- A deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in Toronto
- 3-5 years of professional editing experience at a digital news publisher and a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles and executing on them quickly
- A passion for a mix of research, investigative work, enterprise stories, and viral topics
- Significant experience managing writers and editors
- Able to maintain high-quality work while meeting ambitious goals
- Excited about a high-octane, dynamic, start-up environment
- Strongly familiar with various style guides, especially AP Style
- Available to work on a flexible schedule Monday - Friday between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM, with some nights and weekends required depending on the news cycle
- Obsessed with making bucket lists for everything everywhere, and the person who always knows what’s happening before the word is out
This is a full-time permanent position with a competitive salary and benefits package.
And Here's More About Us:
The name Narcity comes from the belief that we should all be incredibly proud of our cities. Show us your hometown pride! If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you.
Narcity.com is owned and operated by Narcity Media, a digital-only media publisher founded in 2015 in Toronto, Canada. We are a remote first company which means you can work from anywhere in your city!