EditorialFull TimeToronto, ON
Narcity.com is looking for a motivated and experienced Toronto Editor to join our rapidly expanding editorial team. The editor will play a pivotal role in our daily news operation and lead our Toronto and Ontario coverage.
We are seeking a storyteller who loves Toronto and wants to be the best source of information for their community, whether it’s breaking down new legislation, spotlighting extraordinary local characters, or spreading the word about urgent public health issues that everyone should know about.
The right person should have a strong network of sources and have a knack for finding unique angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working with young and enthusiastic writers.
The Toronto Editor would manage our Toronto Desk, composed of two editors and six writers, and would direct coverage of everything from politics to real estate to restaurants — whatever is trending in the Toronto area.
Before applying, please visit our site to get a feel for what we’re looking for. Here are some examples of our favourite articles:
- All The Proof You Need That Toronto Drivers Have No Idea How To Park
- What 9 Torontonians Want Canada’s Next PM To Know — In Their Own Words
- This Toronto House For Sale For $599,000 Is Actually Just An Old Garage And Some Land
- The First Look Inside Toronto Zoo's Illuminated Trail That Is Opening Today
- Justin Trudeau Got Threatened At An Event Near Toronto Last Night
This is a full-time position based in Toronto, but the editor must be able to work closely with writers across the country. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- Breaking news, leading original investigations, and spearheading exclusive interviews
- Researching, assigning, editing, and occasionally writing Toronto articles
- Leading the Toronto Desk in the creation of timely, daily content
- Publishing 15-20 news stories per day (300-600 words) across the team
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate
- Working with other Editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial news content
- Representing Narcity at public events and being an ambassador for our brand
- 2-5 years of professional editing experience at a digital news publisher and a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles while staying true to the Narcity voice
- A deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in Toronto
- A passion for a mix of research, investigative work, enterprise stories, and viral topics
- Availability to work Monday through Friday starting at 9AM EST
Narcity.com is owned and operated by Narcity Media, a digital-only media publisher founded in 2015 and headquartered in Toronto, Canada.