Contributing Copy Editor (Bilingual) - Freelance
Job Description | Contributing Copy Editor (Bilingual)
Who We Are:
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates NARCITY.COM + MTLBLOG.COM. We reach over 16M millennials monthly on our websites, while our social channels engage over 1M millennials daily.
We are a group of passionate creative individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
What We’re Looking For:
Contributing Copy Editor (Bilingual)
Narcity.com is currently looking for a motivated and meticulous Bilingual (French + English) Contributing Copy Editor to join our creative solutions team. The Copy Editor will play a pivotal role in our daily operation in French.
We are seeking an editor who loves clear and conversational language and is a diligent grammar and spellchecker. Narcity Copy Editors for the creative solutions department proofread, revise and appropriately style articles meant for clients, so a passion for perfection and understanding of digital media and branded content is preferred. If you cringe over your friend's DM grammar and love a conversational writing style, this position is for you.
This is a freelance, work from home position which would entail working collaboratively with the Narcity Media Sponsored Content Head Editor to create highly valuable pieces of content.
What We Stand For:
Before anything else, values come first. Without clear, shared values, we wander independently and contradict one another.
Everything's harder when we all believe different things about what's important to us, our Company and our Audience.
- To produce the highest quality content
- To have fun & stay positive
- To remain authentic
- To always put our audience first
- To embrace technology
You Will Make an Impact By:
- Quickly reading articles to ensure they are accurate, properly-cited, well-written and up-to-date
- Correcting grammar, including spelling, syntax and styling of text
- Line editing articles when necessary and making sure formatting is consistent with Narcity Editorial standards
- Working with editors to make sure errors and adjustments are properly communicated to teams
- Occasionally working to implement content edits
- Maintaining the Narcity Media style guide
Our Ideal Candidate
- At least six months of professional copy editing or proofreading experience at a digital news publisher and a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- Excellent written French, including spelling and grammar
- Bilingualism (French + English)
- Good judgment, ability to work without supervision, and skilled at multitasking
- Able to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- Strongly familiar with various style guides, especially AP Style
- Available to take on projects Monday - Friday between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM
More About Us
The name Narcity, comes from the belief that we should all be narcissists for our city. We believe the cities of today don’t get the attention they deserve and we strive to correct that through meaningful local news and travel stories. Show us that city pride! If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!