Senior Editor, Southern USA
Content: EditorialFull TimeUSA, Remote
Who We Are:
At Narcity, we’re building the future of local media, and we want you to be a part of our Global Neighbourhood. Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and MTLBlog.com. Our staff and network of world-class creators interact with millions of Millennials and Gen Zs monthly through our websites, social channels, mobile apps, syndication partners and email subscriptions.
Our audience is interested in the global, the national, the local and the hyper-local — simultaneously. That is why our teams of writers, editors and content creators across our four publications keep our audience informed on all topics, from breaking news to trending content from across the internet, as well as the best travel spots to add to your bucket list and local restaurants to eat at. Readers can come to Narcity to find out where to go for dinner and discover the biggest stories of the day to talk about over their meal.
Narcity Media’s rapidly expanding Editorial team is made up of energetic multi-platform content creators who know how to engage with Gen Z and Millennial readers, helping them discover the undiscovered by highlighting the most interesting news, places, people and ideas in their cities and beyond.
Narcity Media is looking for a motivated and experienced Senior Editor, Southern USA to join our rapidly expanding editorial team. The Senior Editor will play a pivotal role in our daily operations by leading, managing and expanding the Southern US desk. We are seeking a storyteller who loves the South and believes it’s the most interesting place in the world. They are excited about covering everything from local politics to real estate to restaurants — whatever is happening in the region.
The right person should have a strong network of sources and a knack for finding unique local angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working with young and enthusiastic writers.
- Leading a desk of Writers/Reporters/Associate Editors/Editors in the creation of timely, daily content
- Working closely with the manager to establish goals for the team and plans/strategies to exceed them
- Supporting the team in researching, assigning, editing, and writing articles that drive reader engagement and grow Narcity’s audience
- Ensuring the team delivers consistency in storytelling skills, output & traffic while also contributing personally where possible/required
- Guiding the team in how to create compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Owning the planning of major events within a given market & working with other Editors/Senior Editors on strategies for cross-departmental opportunities
- Acting as a leader and mentor within the edition
- Showing a strong legal judgment and ability to handle sensitive stories
- Planning ahead with weekly, monthly and annual content calendars
- Leading coverage of breaking news events & making sure we’re first
- Leading team brainstorms and ensures a steady flow of original content and exclusive interviews
- Owning the recruitment, training and management of team members with support from the manager
- Managing data analysis and responding with assignments & content strategy changes
- Consistently demonstrating a deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in a given market
- Setting the voice and tone for Narcity in your market, staying on top of current events and maintaining a strong network of local sources
- Ensuring the team is delivering on Narcity’s voice and tone and respecting brand and quality guidelines for all content
- Ensuring all information from the team is properly cited and factually accurate
- Representing Narcity Media’s values online and offline during terms of employment and acting as an ambassador for the brand
- Ensuring the team is creating multi-platform content for all Narcity’s channels (articles, video, social, etc) where relevant
- Acting as a role model in terms of a positive and flexible attitude as the company continues to evolve and expand its mission
- Exceptional verbal and written English skills
- 5+ years of professional editing experience at a digital news publisher
- An education in Journalism, Communications, or a related field is an asset
- A passion for a mix of research, data & analytics, local news, lifestyle and management
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles while staying true to the Narcity voice
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in your city
- Availability to work a flexible full-time schedule of Monday to Friday 8 AM to 4 PM EST including occasional evening and weekend work as required
Flexible/Adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
Attentive to detail: Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
A Strategic Thinker/A Visionary: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through a comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
Enthusiastic: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude.
Position Type & Salary Range:
This is a permanent position open to candidates based anywhere in the US. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We are committed to offering our employees the best employee experience through the following benefits:
- Flexible schedule and time off policy
- 1 extra week - Company-wide end of the year paid time off
- Permanent remote work policy and 1x $500 for office upgrades
- Annual wellness fund
- On-demand mental and physical well-being platform with over 250 live classes per week
- Monthly phone and internet stipend
- Insurance coverage
- Physician Services
- Hospital Services
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse Services
- Dental Care
- Vision Care
- Mental Health Services
- Employees Assistance Program (EAP)
- Enhanced Maternity Program
- 24-hour Nurse Line
- Well-being assessment
- International Care Management
- Pharmacy Shipping
- Bi-annual market-based salary adjustments
Equal Access and Opportunity Commitment:
Narcity Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage our people to grow and thrive by being their true selves. We are committed to removing systemic barriers in the workplace and building a company that reflects the community that we serve at every level. We are devoted to building a company that is part of the solution and not the problem.
The same goes for our applicants. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at Narcity Media regardless of age, national origin, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, socioeconomic status, or marital status.
If you need any accommodations at any stage of the recruitment or onboarding process, please contact us at email@example.com
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply now — we can’t wait to talk with you!
*Some roles may require completing skills and knowledge assessments after the screening interview. P.S. We really, really love PDF CVs. it allows candidates to truly showcase their talents in the format they have chosen to display them. Follow this link to learn how to convert your resume into a PDF.