Associate Editor, Vancouver
Content: EditorialFull TimeVancouver, BC
Who We Are:
At Narcity, we’re building the future of local media, and we want you to be a part of our Global Neighbourhood. Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and MTLBlog.com. Our staff and network of world-class creators interact with millions of Millennials and Gen Zs monthly through our websites, social channels, mobile apps, syndication partners and email subscriptions.
Our audience is interested in the global, the national, the local and the hyper-local — simultaneously. That is why our teams of writers, editors and content creators across our four publications keep our audience informed on all topics, from breaking news to trending content from across the internet, as well as the best travel spots to add to your bucket list and local restaurants to eat at. Readers can come to Narcity to find out where to go for dinner and discover the biggest stories of the day to talk about over their meal.
Narcity Media’s rapidly expanding Editorial team is made up of energetic multi-platform content creators who know how to engage with Gen Z and Millennial readers, helping them discover the undiscovered by highlighting the most interesting news, places, people and ideas in their cities and beyond.
Narcity Media is looking for a motivated and experienced Associate Editor to join our rapidly expanding editorial team. The Associate Editor will play a pivotal role in our daily operations by working with writers to break exclusive stories relevant to readers in Vancouver. We are seeking a storyteller who loves Vancouver and believes it’s the most interesting place in the world. They are excited about covering everything from local politics to real estate to restaurants — whatever is happening in the city.
The right person should have a strong network of sources and a knack for finding unique local angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working with young and enthusiastic writers.
- Leading a small team of writers within a desk in the creation of timely, daily content
- Researching, assigning, editing and writing articles that drive reader engagement and grow Narcity’s audience
- Delivering consistency in own storytelling skills, output & traffic while ensuring the goals of team members are also met
- Analyzing data and analytics and responding with assignments & content strategy changes
- Working with writers and other editors to break news, brainstorm impactful content, and spearhead exclusive interviews
- Helping set the voice and tone for Narcity in your market, staying on top of current events and building a network of local sources
- Assisting Editor in the recruitment, training and management of writers
- Consistently meeting deadlines and assignments set by Editor
- Building a deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in a given market
- Building a strong network of sources and a knack for finding unique angles
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate and knowing when to flag potential legal issues
- Respecting brand and quality guidelines set by Narcity Media for all content
- Consistently creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice & training other staff in how to do this effectively
- Producing content for other Narcity platforms including TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube where relevant
- Maintaining a positive and flexible attitude as the company continues to evolve and expand its mission
- Representing Narcity Media’s values online and offline during terms of employment
- Acting as an ambassador for the Narcity brand
- Exceptional verbal and written English skills
- 1-3 years of professional editing experience at a digital news publisher
- An education in Journalism, Communications, or a related field is an asset
- A passion for a mix of research, data & analytics, local news, and management
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles while staying true to the Narcity voice
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in your city
- Availability to work a flexible full-time schedule of Monday to Friday 11 AM - 7 PM EST including occasional evening and weekend work as required
Flexible/Adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
Attentive to detail: Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
A Strategic Thinker/A Visionary: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through a comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
Enthusiastic: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude.
Position Type & Salary Range:
This is a permanent position open to candidates based in Vancouver, British Columbia. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We are committed to offering our employees the best employee experience through the following benefits:
- Flexible schedule and time off policy
- 1 extra week - Company-wide end of the year paid time off
- Permanent remote work policy and 1x $500 for office upgrades
- Annual wellness fund
- On-demand mental and physical well-being platform with over 250 live classes per week
- Monthly phone and internet stipend
- Extended health care
- Dependent life insurance
- Accidental death insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Bi-annual market-based salary adjustments
Equal Access and Opportunity Commitment:
Narcity Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage our people to grow and thrive by being their true selves. We are committed to removing systemic barriers in the workplace and building a company that reflects the community that we serve at every level. We are devoted to building a company that is part of the solution and not the problem.
The same goes for our applicants. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at Narcity Media regardless of age, national origin, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, socioeconomic status, or marital status.
If you need any accommodations at any stage of the recruitment or onboarding process, please contact us at email@example.com
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply now — we can’t wait to talk with you!
*Some roles may require completing skills and knowledge assessments after the screening interview. P.S. We really, really love PDF CVs. it allows candidates to truly showcase their talents in the format they have chosen to display them. Follow this link to learn how to convert your resume into a PDF.