Staff Writer/ News Reporter Austin
Content: EditorialFull TimeAustin, TX
Who We Are:
At Narcity, we’re building the future of local media, and we want you to be a part of our Global Neighbourhood. Narcity Media is a digital-only media publisher that owns and operates Narcity.com and MTLBlog.com. Our staff and network of world-class creators interact with millions of Millennials and Gen Zs monthly through our websites, social channels, mobile apps, syndication partners and email subscriptions.
Our audience is interested in the global, the national, the local and the hyper-local — simultaneously. That is why our teams of writers, editors and content creators across our four editions keep our audience informed on all topics, from breaking news to trending content from across the internet, as well as the best travel spots to add to your bucket list and local restaurants to eat at. Readers can come to Narcity to find out where to go for dinner and discover the biggest stories of the day to talk about over their meal.
Narcity Media’s rapidly expanding Editorial team is made up of energetic multi-platform content creators who know how to engage with Gen Z and Millennial readers, helping them discover the undiscovered by highlighting the most interesting news, places, people and ideas in their cities and beyond.
Narcity.com is looking for an independent News Reporter to join our Southern US Desk. You will play a pivotal role in our daily operations and our local, national, and/or global coverage by breaking exclusive stories that are relevant to our readers in Texas.
We’re looking for an experienced journalist who has a passion for news, lifestyle, travel, entertainment, real estate, sports, and money. They should be excited to go out into their city to cover breaking news stories in real-time and report on a little bit of everything from TikTok trends to policy changes while contributing to our Texas Team content traffic objectives. The right person should have a strong network of sources and have a knack for finding unique angles. They should have a record of breaking news and be passionate about working alongside like-minded creatives on an enthusiastic team.
1. Strengthen the Content Divisions OKRs and Objectives
- Researching and writing timely articles
- Publishing 5+ stories per day
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate
- Maintain high-quality work while meeting ambitious goals
2. Moving our story arch and narrative structure forward
- Breaking exclusive stories and getting big interviews
- Building relationships with sources in Texas
- Independently chasing leads and pushing our journalism forward
- Producing content for all Narcity platforms including TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube
- Working with Editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial content
- Being an ambassador for the Narcity brand in your state
- A minimum of 1-3 years of professional writing experience at a digital publisher
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field preferred but not essential
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in Austin,Texas
- An obsession with content research, tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles and executing on them quickly
- A passion for a mix of research, investigative work, enterprise stories, and viral topics
- Strongly familiar with various style guides, especially AP Style
- Experience creating content for social media platforms including TikTok, Instagram, YouTube and Snapchat is a plus
- Availability to work a flexible full-time schedule with occasional evening and weekend work.
- Flexible/Adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Open to Criticism and Ideas: Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback.
- Proactive: Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Creative/Innovative: Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
Position Type & Salary Range:
This is a permanent remote position open to candidates based in the Austin Metropolitan Area. Additionally, the Staff Writer must be able to work closely with editors and other writers across North America. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
$38,000 - $45,000 USD
We are committed to offering our employees the best employee experience through the following benefits:
- Flexible schedule and time off policy
- 1 extra week - Company-wide end of the year paid time off
- Permanent remote work policy and 1x $500 for office upgrades
- Annual wellness fund
- On-demand mental and physical well-being platform with over 250 live classes per week
- Monthly phone and internet stipend
- Basic insurance coverage
- Bi-annual market-based salary adjustments
Equal Access and Opportunity Commitment:
Narcity Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage our people to grow and thrive by being their true selves. We are committed to removing systemic barriers in the workplace and building a company that reflects the community that we serve at every level. We are devoted to building a company that is part of the solution and not the problem.
The same goes for our applicants. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at Narcity Media regardless of age, national origin, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, socioeconomic status, or marital status.If you need any accommodations at any stage of the recruitment or onboarding process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply now — we can’t wait to talk with you!
*Some roles may require completing skills and knowledge assessments after the screening interview. P.S. We really, really love PDF CVs. it allows candidates to truly showcase their talents in the format they have chosen to display them. Follow this link to learn how to convert your resume into a PDF.