Associate Editor, Global
Content: EditorialFull TimeCanada/USA, Remote
Who We Are:
At Narcity, we’re building the future of local media, and we want you to be a part of our Global Neighbourhood. Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and MTLBlog.com. Our staff and network of world-class creators interact with millions of Millennials and Gen Zs monthly through our websites, social channels, mobile apps, syndication partners and email subscriptions.
Our audience is interested in the global, the national, the local and the hyper-local — simultaneously. That is why our teams of writers, editors and content creators across our four publications keep our audience informed on all topics, from breaking news to trending content from across the internet, as well as the best travel spots to add to your bucket list and local restaurants to eat at. Readers can come to Narcity to find out where to go for dinner and discover the biggest stories of the day to talk about over their meal.
Narcity Media’s rapidly expanding Editorial team is made up of energetic multi-platform content creators who know how to engage with Gen Z and Millennial readers, helping them discover the undiscovered by highlighting the most interesting news, places, people and ideas in their cities and beyond.
Narcity.com is looking for a motivated and experienced Associate Editor to join our rapidly expanding editorial team. The Associate Editor will play a pivotal role in our daily operations by working with writers and independently to break exclusive stories relevant to readers around the world. The Associate Editor will help manage our Global Desk, which covers everything from politics to entertainment to viral global news — whatever is trending, no matter where in the world it finds our readers. The Associate Editor will be expected to meet challenging goals for the desk and push it forward!
The right person should have a strong network of sources and have a knack for finding unique angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working with young and enthusiastic writers. This is the perfect role for someone with a few years of reporting or editing experience looking to take the next step in their career.
1. Strengthen the Editorial team’s KPIs and Objectives
- Editing and personally writing a number of stories per day
- Meeting deadlines and assignments set by the Senior Global Editor
- Analyzing data and analytics, and seeking to increase reader engagement and grow Narcity’s audience
- Meeting or exceeding both team and personal traffic objectives through the creation of engaging articles
- Building a strong network of sources and a knack for finding unique angles
- Working and brainstorming with other Editors and Writers to make sure Narcity is the best website for millennial content
- Maintaining a positive and flexible attitude as the company continues to evolve and expand its mission
- Representing Narcity Media’s values online and offline during terms of employment
2. Coaching and Leading Writers
- Leading a team of writers in the creation of exclusive, timely, and original stories for Narcity’s platforms across a wide range of topics
- Researching, assigning, editing, and writing articles
- Assisting in the recruitment, training, and management of writers
3. Being an Expert on Tone & Editing
- Ensuring the accuracy, consistency and compliance with standards of all the material on the site (SEO, articles, headlines, photos, captions, video, etc.)
- Setting the voice and tone for Narcity for our global audience, staying on top of current events and building a network of sources
- Respecting brand and quality guidelines set by Narcity Media for all content
- Exceptional verbal and written English skills
- 1-3 years of professional writing or editing experience at a digital news publisher
- Education in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- A passion for a mix of research, data & analytics, news, and management
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles while staying true to the Narcity voice
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending with the Gen Z and Millennial audience
- Availability to work a flexible full-time schedule including evening and weekend work as required
Flexible/Adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
Attentive to detail: Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
A Strategic Thinker/A Visionary: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through a comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
Enthusiastic: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude.
Position Type & Salary Range:
This is a permanent position based anywhere in the world, but the Associate Editor must be able to support writers working on EST. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We are committed to offering our employees the best employee experience through the following benefits:
- Flexible schedule and time off policy
- 1 extra week - Company-wide end of the year paid time off
- Permanent remote work policy and 1x $500 for office upgrades
- Annual wellness fund
- On-demand mental and physical well-being platform with over 250 live classes per week
- Monthly phone and internet stipend
- Extended health care
- Dependent life insurance
- Accidental death insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Bi-annual market-based salary adjustments
Equal Access and Opportunity Commitment:
Narcity Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage our people to grow and thrive by being their true selves. We are committed to removing systemic barriers in the workplace and building a company that reflects the community that we serve at every level. We are devoted to building a company that is part of the solution and not the problem.
The same goes for our applicants. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at Narcity Media regardless of age, national origin, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, socioeconomic status, or marital status.
If you need any accommodations at any stage of the recruitment or onboarding process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply now — we can’t wait to talk with you!
*Some roles may require completing skills and knowledge assessments after the screening interview. P.S. We really, really love PDF CVs. it allows candidates to truly showcase their talents in the format they have chosen to display them. Follow this link to learn how to convert your resume into a PDF.